Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old maytag, bad timer, convert to manual, usual dumb idea?

On 10/12/20 1:14 PM, TimR wrote:
I bought a Maytag toploader in 1990, an A484. Today it stopped advancing from cycles.

We have an excellent repair shop in town but they said there are no parts available and they declined to work on it. I finished the load moving the dial by hand.

They don't make machines that last 30 years anymore. Well, I guess you can still get the Speedqueen commercial model for about $1000, but I don't have 30 years left in me.

So, has anybody done a workaround, conversion to manual? From the service manual it looks like there are 10 sets of contacts that close in the timer. Light switches are less than a dollar each, a little more for 3 ways. The functions are just fill, drain, wash, spin, how hard can it be? I looked at some youtube videos but they weren't really helpful. They wire directly to the motors rather than reusing the timer wires. Toggle switches would be more elegant but now we're talking $4 per switch. -

This would be really manual. Flip the right switches for fill and wash, in 10 minutes change to drain, 3 minutes to spin, etc.

The elegant way would be a Raspberry Pi or similar but then we need relays.

A quick search said the part wasn't available from one source.
The source suggested
putting the part number into a search engine. I tried and came up with
Whirlpool parts.
https://www.amazon.com/maytag-washer-timer/s?k=maytag+washer+timer
Suppose the motor is bad. What else would the motor be used for?
Dishwashers? Can you see the numbers on the motor? I'm out of ideas.