Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking self-contained outdoor cameras to catch contractor dumping onmy property

Hi, I inherited a wooded property in the north east and Ive started doing some work there but its still vacant. Noticed some junk had been dumped along a strip near the road, but which is not really visible from the house. I put up 'No Dumping' signs but I see today that a whole bunch more stuff has been dumped there, looks like a contractor demoed a porch of fence or something. Im thinking about putting up some kind of cameras, but this is quite far from the house so they would have to be self-contained, a wildlife camera of something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26/09/2020 07:00, Bod wrote:
On 26/09/2020 00:08, Frank wrote:
On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
Hi, I inherited a wooded property in the north east and Ive started
doing some work there but its still vacant.Â* Noticed some junk had
been dumped along a strip near the road, but which is not really
visible from the house. I put up 'No Dumping' signs but I see today
that a whole bunch more stuff has been dumped there, looks like a
contractor demoed a porch of fence or something. Im thinking about
putting up some kind of cameras, but this is quite far from the house
so they would have to be self-contained, a wildlife camera of
something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Not familiar with these game cameras but might caution on a
conversation I had with a PA park warden.

He was telling me that they had a dumping problem and I suggested they
put up a camera.Â* He said they did and it was stolen.

I use two *BLINK* cameras for spotting wildlife in our gardens.
They are tiny/infra red/full HD etc and tiny things. Cost about £75 quid
each.
Takes two AA batteries and claims to last up to 2 years. We've had ours
nearly 2 years and they are still going strong.
You monitor them on your phone + get alerts.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blink-xt2...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW, if they do nick the camera, this one will record them pinching it.
It'll be immediately sent to the cloud for you to retrieve the
recording. They can even smash the camera up, but the recording will
still be retrievable.
They can't stop that happening.
NO I don't work for Blink cameras. Just trying to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
Hi, I inherited a wooded property in the north east and Ive started
doing some work there but its still vacant.Â* Noticed some junk had
been dumped along a strip near the road, but which is not really
visible from the house. I put up 'No Dumping' signs but I see today
that a whole bunch more stuff has been dumped there, looks like a
contractor demoed a porch of fence or something. Im thinking about
putting up some kind of cameras, but this is quite far from the
house so they would have to be self-contained, a wildlife camera of
something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Not familiar with these game cameras but might caution on a
conversation I had with a PA park warden.

He was telling me that they had a dumping problem and I suggested
they put up a camera.Â* He said they did and it was stolen.

Â*
I use two *BLINK* cameras for spotting wildlife in our gardens.
They are tiny/infra red/full HD etc and tiny things. Cost about £75
quid each.
Takes two AA batteries and claims to last up to 2 years. We've had
ours nearly 2 years and they are still going strong.
You monitor them on your phone + get alerts.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blink-xt2...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

BTW, if they do nick the camera, this one will record them pinching it.
It'll be immediately sent to the cloud for you to retrieve the
recording. They can even smash the camera up, but the recording will
still be retrievable.
They can't stop that happening.
NO I don't work for Blink cameras. Just trying to help.

*UPDATE* Forgot to add, the camera has to be within Wi-Fi range,
although the video can be viewed anywhere in the world if you're using
mobile data on your phone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

I see they are available in US at same amount in dollars. Reading
reviews I noticed that battery life depends on activity and if there is
a lot it is probably about 3 weeks as with many other cameras.

Also some systems come with fees either for storage on the cloud or use
with cell phone system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

I see they are available in US at same amount in dollars.Â* Reading
reviews I noticed that battery life depends on activity and if there is
a lot it is probably about 3 weeks as with many other cameras.

Also some systems come with fees either for storage on the cloud or use
with cell phone system.

You get some cloud storage for free. I set the cameras for 10 second
video clips. Most nights they trigger about 10 times each plus I only
set them from dusk to dawn.
I turn the sound off and use the medium quality to save battery life.

I've used several camera traps in the past that take 8 AAA batteries and
using them exactly the same as my Blink cameras, they had to be changed
about once a month. They eat batteries, plus you had to physically
remove the SD card and put them into a computer to see them.
These Blink ones just show the clips on your phone.

This site gives answers to a lot of questions:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questio...-black/6228322
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2020 05:43 AM, slate_leeper wrote:
So I wrote to various game camera manufacturers and asked if they had
a model that did NOT show any visible light when triggered. One
answered affirmatively, so I ordered it from Amazon. Tried it out and
there it was - big red glowing LED. In addition, the picture quality
was terrible. Amazon provided me a full refund after I sent them a
copy of the manufacturer's false claim.

Point of this story: If you ever find something actually useful,
please let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Blacko...dp/B00AU6DS9Y/

Disclaimer: I don't own this one. What you're looking for will be
advertised as 'no glow', 'black flash', or 'blackout'.

They're more expensive than the more common IR trail cameras. Trail
cameras, while the can be general purpose, are aimed at deer hunters. A
deer's ultraviolet vision is better than a humans which is why you don't
wash your hunting gear with fabric brighteners. Conversely red/infrared
range is worse, which is why every deer in a mile doesn't run away when
you were a fluorescent orange vest. So the low end cameras use IR as
good enough for deer, but not so great for humans with their more
sensitive eyes (in that portion of the spectrum)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

Good to know when considering brand to buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2020 5:25 PM, wrote:
[...]

I am still looking for a WiFi camera that talks to my DVR and not
cloud connected. I am guessing most would but the one I ordered
required the phone and cloud account to get it on my network. There
did not seem to be a way to get the net password in any other way. I
sent it back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28-Sep-2020, Frank "frank wrote:

That park I was hunting straddles PA and DE and I hunted both sides.
Wardens in DE told me they have cameras up but would not tell me where.
DE side consumed more tax dollars with more wardens and park workers
although they have a user fee which PA did not.

In PA they only tax us for the rangers but never see them.
--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 5:25:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi, I inherited a wooded property in the north east and Ive started doing some work there but its still vacant. Noticed some junk had been dumped along a strip near the road, but which is not really visible from the house. I put up 'No Dumping' signs but I see today that a whole bunch more stuff has been dumped there, looks like a contractor demoed a porch of fence or something. Im thinking about putting up some kind of cameras, but this is quite far from the house so they would have to be self-contained, a wildlife camera of something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Put up a sign along with "do not litter" "You are on camera" Might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2020 02:58 PM, Thomas wrote:
On Friday, September 25, 2020 at 5:25:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi, I inherited a wooded property in the north east and Ive started doing some work there but its still vacant. Noticed some junk had been dumped along a strip near the road, but which is not really visible from the house. I put up 'No Dumping' signs but I see today that a whole bunch more stuff has been dumped there, looks like a contractor demoed a porch of fence or something. Im thinking about putting up some kind of cameras, but this is quite far from the house so they would have to be self-contained, a wildlife camera of something similar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Put up a sign along with "do not litter" "You are on camera" Might help.

Or 'Litterers will be properly recycled.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/1/20 9:26 PM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

Or 'Litterers will be properly recycled.'

I've heard of "Please Litter - Dog Food is Expensive".