Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Is pine tree dead?

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

micky writes:

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.

Somewhat normal for a pine, depends on how much light the lower part
gets. If it's ugly, remove it and start over.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9/13/2020 11:35 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
micky writes:

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.

Somewhat normal for a pine, depends on how much light the lower part
gets. If it's ugly, remove it and start over.

Yes, sounds normal.

A German friend once saw that I planted a Norway spruce and commented
that the Black Forest consisted of them. It was called the Black Forest
as when you were beneath them it was very dark from lack of sun.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:10:21 -0400, micky
wrote:

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.

In some species that is somewhat normal but it also might mean you
have pine beetles. Watch the progression and plan on how you will cut
it down if it dies. I suppose you could call an agricultural agent.
They might take it down for you to slow the spread if it is beetles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:27:21 -0400, micky
wrote:

wrote:

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.

In some species that is somewhat normal but it also might mean you
have pine beetles. Watch the progression and plan on how you will cut
it down if it dies. I suppose you could call an agricultural agent.
They might take it down for you to slow the spread if it is beetles.

I'll look. Can I just poke a hole in the bark to find the beetles?
They're not on the outside, iirc. (I'll look again.) .

The ones we see here are pretty small but they do live under the bark.

https://www.treefarmsystem.org/SPBwhenbeetlesattack