Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Is pine tree dead?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 13 Sep 2020 16:08:26 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 11:10:21 -0400, micky
wrote:

I have a pine tree whose branches have died for the bottom 25 feet, but
which is alilve with needles and cones for the remaining 10.

Does that prove it's dead, or almost dead?

After all, normal thriving pine trees lose their lower branches all the
time.

In some species that is somewhat normal but it also might mean you
have pine beetles. Watch the progression and plan on how you will cut
it down if it dies. I suppose you could call an agricultural agent.
They might take it down for you to slow the spread if it is beetles.

I'll look. Can I just poke a hole in the bark to find the beetles?
They're not on the outside, iirc. (I'll look again.) .