Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Iowa storm damage

About a third of Iowa's crops are damaged.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million
Farmers have insurance but now they can argue with the insurance
companies.
More pictures from the Des Moines Register.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2020/08/10/derecho-storm-iowa-city-damage-power-outage/3338604001/
This storm has an unusual name, derecho. It was a straight wind, not
tornadoes, that did this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 8:27:35 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
About a third of Iowa's crops are damaged.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million
Farmers have insurance but now they can argue with the insurance
companies.
More pictures from the Des Moines Register.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2020/08/10/derecho-storm-iowa-city-damage-power-outage/3338604001/
This storm has an unusual name, derecho. It was a straight wind, not
tornadoes, that did this.

Yes, the name is unusual. They've been using it in the popular press for--what?--20 years, perhaps. But meteorologists have been using it for much
longer than that. Like the polar vortex, the scientific term was slow to
make it to the newspapers.

I recall one that came through Ann Arbor in the late 70s or early 80s.
That was an oddball; they usually stay below the Great Lakes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 07:09:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

The news people along with a few meteorologists seem to me making up
names these days for damned near anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Fancy words are an attempt to make up for the fact that the best
they can do is say it might rain today.

I've been lucky. I've lived in over a dozen places in this country and I've
never lived anywhere that they couldn't forecast the weather for the next 3
days or so. It gets a bit sketchy when they try to go out to 10 days or
even more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2020 1:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â* Fancy words are an attempt to make up for the fact that the best
they can do is say it might rain today.

It's a well-known phenomenon -- the term "derecho" is from the Spanish
that translates literally as "direct," or "straight ahead."

The term was first used in 1888 by Dr. Gustavus Hinrichs, a professor of
physics at the University of Iowa in a paper published by the American
Meteorological Journal. He introduced it to distinguish
thunderstorm-induced straight-line winds from the damaging, rotary winds
of tornadoes.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/images/HampshireIL2008July10.gif

https://www.weather.gov/images/lmk/canned_pages/derecho/peoplechaser1.jpg

The latter was taken near Ft Supply, OK, in 2001, not all that far from
us...east of us already, although it formed north and west of us -- the
peak recorded wind speed in KS was 100 mph near Garden City about 60 mi
N, 70-80 mph here...we had just come back to the farm couple years
prior; first one I had seen the climatology on although I'm sure several
of the "big blows" I remember growing up were associated with similar
events; we just didn't have the radar or other weather stations to be
able to capture the scope then.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may27-282001page.htm

I've got some pictures somewhere...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

With the modern ECMWF, NAM and GFS forecasts, ten days out has gotten
much better than just five years ago. It's not perfect, given the chaotic
systems involved it may never be, but it's pretty damned good.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Derecho was used in the late 1880s by a meteorologist.

I wish they'd stop naming snowstorms, though. That's just dumb.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2020 7:27 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â* About a third of Iowa's crops are damaged.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million

Farmers have insurance but now they can argue with the insurance companies.
Â*More pictures from the Des Moines Register.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2020/08/10/derecho-storm-iowa-city-damage-power-outage/3338604001/

Â*This storm has an unusual name, derecho.Â*Â* It was a straight wind, not
tornadoes, that did this.

Listen to the AgriTalk radio in AM; the head of the IA Co-operatives
association said just one of their member co-ops lost over 200 large
grain bins. That'll wreak havoc with harvest only a short time away;
some of these facilities may not be able to have any operational storage
other than ground/tube by then...

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

[...]

typing OT in the subject line is what's dumb ,
like it makes it ok to be off topic so long as there's an OT ,
if you want to talk about weather go to a weather group

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We just had one of those pop up storms hit. It didn't amount to
anything rain wise but made some noise. It's not terribly unusual for
one spot to get an inch or two and someone a few miles away get nothing.
I can sure see why weather is still educated guessing even with all
the modern technology.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/20 2:30 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/13/2020 7:27 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â*Â*Â* About a third of Iowa's crops are damaged.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million

Farmers have insurance but now they can argue with the insurance
companies.
Â*Â*More pictures from the Des Moines Register.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2020/08/10/derecho-storm-iowa-city-damage-power-outage/3338604001/

Â*Â*This storm has an unusual name, derecho.Â*Â* It was a straight wind,
not tornadoes, that did this.

Listen to the AgriTalk radio in AM; the head of the IA Co-operatives
association said just one of their member co-ops lost over 200 large
grain bins.Â* That'll wreak havoc with harvest only a short time away;
some of these facilities may not be able to have any operational storage
other than ground/tube by then...

I bet the guys selling corn reels and roller cones for the corn
heads will be busy.
The coops here can get away with just piling corn on the ground
temporarily if need be. Average precipitation is about 25"/year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Spanish for "straight".
Also known (at least north of the 49th) as a "Plough wind" or a
"Prarie Hurricaine" - Also a "downburst.
Very uncommon to last for 700+ miles like this one
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"The only constant is change"
"If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes"
and it's corollary
"If you LIKE the weather, just wait 5 minutes".

The weather forcasters seem to be getting better,just as the weather
gets more unpredictable. When they say 60% chance of rain in
soutwestern ontario lately it means 60% of the area will see a few
deops of rain sometime during the day. Generally Elmira and Stratford
as well as Cambridge and Brantford get a bit of rain, and Waterloo
stays Dry. We seem to be in a rain-shadow due to the wind direction
from the south west - areas to the north-west get rain from the winds
over Lake Huron, The southern areas get it from winds over Lake Erie,
and our wind just crossed Lake St Clair and the Detroit River, which
doesn't provide much moisture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't think there is going to be a LOT of "home repair" required
from 120MPH winds?????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 15:50:53 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/14/20 2:30 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

The vast majority will be a total loss. The ears won't mature with
the stocks broken off and/or the roots pulled out. Much of the
storage, sadly, will not be required this year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2020 10:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Also known (at least north of the 49th) as a "Plough wind" or a
"Prarie Hurricaine" - Also a "downburst.
Very uncommon to last for 700+ miles like this one

But by definition a derecho is a continuous bow front; it is formed by
individual downburst events coalescing into one. The line must be 400
km or longer and include =58 mph wind along most of the length to be
classified as such (US NWS definition).

There are two types of derechos depending upon the type of initiation
and atmospheric dynamics; "progressive" and "serial".

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/derecho

describes them...the progressive type is the longer distance in general
and also more difficult to predict.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/14/20 2:30 PM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Much of their grain handling capabilities were damaged as well; just
handling what does come in will be difficult at best.

Much grain production will be impacted undoubtedly; it'll depend upon
just how much was actually broken/uprooted vs how much just lodged and
can come back up.

They'll chop virtually everything that isn't going to make grain so it
won't be a total loss but definitely not the same as making cash grain crop.

The annual field tour begins I believe next week; they'll begin to get a
handle on losses as those yield predictions are compiled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/20 9:15 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/14/2020 10:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Also known (at least north of the 49th) as a "Plough wind" or a
"Prarie Hurricaine" - Also a "downburst.
Â* Very uncommon to last for 700+ miles like this one

But by definition a derecho is a continuous bow front; it is formed by
individual downburst events coalescing into one.Â* The line must be 400
km or longer and include =58 mph wind along most of the length to be
classified as such (US NWS definition).

400 km is almost 250 miles. 248.5485 to narrow it down.

There are two types of derechos depending upon the type of initiation
and atmospheric dynamics; "progressive" and "serial".

https://www.weather.gov/lmk/derecho

describes them...the progressive type is the longer distance in general
and also more difficult to predict.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/20 9:15 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/14/2020 10:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Also known (at least north of the 49th) as a "Plough wind" or a
"Prarie Hurricaine" - Also a "downburst.
Â* Very uncommon to last for 700+ miles like this one

But by definition a derecho is a continuous bow front; it is formed by
individual downburst events coalescing into one.Â* The line must be 400
km or longer and include =58 mph wind along most of the length to be
classified as such (US NWS definition).

400 km is almost 250 miles. 248.5485 to narrow it down.

And? The IA event was definitely a long run -- I've not found a record
but some have continued off the east coast out into the Atlantic where
there were no measurements undoubtedly have gone even longer before they
finally fell apart.

The bow front from August 11 expanded from about 70-80 miles at 6AM
before it even got to IA to something over 500 miles by 8 PM

https://www.weather.gov/dmx/2020derecho

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2020 9:34 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/15/20 9:15 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/14/2020 10:21 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Also known (at least north of the 49th) as a "Plough wind" or a
"Prarie Hurricaine" - Also a "downburst.
Â* Very uncommon to last for 700+ miles like this one

But by definition a derecho is a continuous bow front; it is formed by
individual downburst events coalescing into one.Â* The line must be 400
km or longer and include =58 mph wind along most of the length to be
classified as such (US NWS definition).

Â*Â*Â* 400 km is almost 250 miles.Â*Â*Â* 248.5485 to narrow it down.

Which makes the event more than just a downburst by definition...of
course, one may not know it's more than that at the time in any one
location w/o additional input; particularly on the formation end before
has grown immense in proportions.

The links to pictures I posted above near here, one of which was within
about 30 miles if I recollect the specific links correctly make it
obvious as it was on its way this was more than just a single cell...

We did have time to close up the barn and machine shed and put stuff
inside before it hit since was still daylight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

In Florida they can predict the weather in the summer a year or more
in advance. "Hot with a chance of showers and some may be locally
severe, with intense lightning and maybe a little tornado". ;-)

The hurricane predictions are actually pretty good if you think a +/-
300 mile wide 2 day cone is good. If you want to know if the thing is
going over your house, they are less than an hour out. Sometimes less
than that with a storm like Charley that turned in about 15 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree. Weather is the biggest cause of home repair in plenty of
areas of the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It depends a lot on the wind code they build to, Unfortunately that is
80 or less in most places. It is 150 here and 160 a few miles west of
me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't think that tornado alley has similar requirements? Why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bet the guys selling corn reels and roller cones for the corn
heads will be busy.
The coops here can get away with just piling corn on the ground
temporarily if need be. Average precipitation is about 25"/year.

The vast majority will be a total loss. The ears won't mature with
the stocks broken off and/or the roots pulled out. Much of the
storage, sadly, will not be required this year.

Some can be chopped into silage, however.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think they just gave up and decided the tornado is taking it anyway.
FEMA does have tornado proof structure plans but that is not the
standard building practice. They will just build safe rooms instead of
underground shelters.

Florida may have the strongest wind code in the US (I would bet on it)
but I could be wrong. I think we are also the only state that
separates wind storm from homeowners insurance. (similar to flood),.
It is an additional policy.
I suspect that is because a tornado (F3-F5) is total devastation down
that narrow path but 50 feet away things are OK. Overall the damage
gets amortized over lots of customers who were OK. A hurricane can
wipe out whole counties even wide spread damage across most of the
state. It is a different risk category. By building to a substantial
wind code, most damage is averted. It is the same with strictly
enforcing the FEMA Flood plane.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/2012...code%20map.jpg