Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT. Iowa storm damage

On 2020-08-14 12:22 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 2:32:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 07:09:17 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, August 13, 2020 at 8:27:35 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
About a third of Iowa's crops are damaged.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/derecho-iowa-crop-land-farmland-midwest-damage-severe-weather-corn-soybean-disaster-10-million
Farmers have insurance but now they can argue with the insurance
companies.
More pictures from the Des Moines Register.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2020/08/10/derecho-storm-iowa-city-damage-power-outage/3338604001/
This storm has an unusual name, derecho. It was a straight wind, not
tornadoes, that did this.

Yes, the name is unusual. They've been using it in the popular press for--what?--20 years, perhaps. But meteorologists have been using it for much
longer than that. Like the polar vortex, the scientific term was slow to
make it to the newspapers.

I recall one that came through Ann Arbor in the late 70s or early 80s.
That was an oddball; they usually stay below the Great Lakes.

Cindy Hamilton

The news people along with a few meteorologists seem to me making up
names these days for damned near anything.

Derecho was used in the late 1880s by a meteorologist.

I wish they'd stop naming snowstorms, though. That's just dumb.

Cindy Hamilton

typing OT in the subject line is what's dumb ,
like it makes it ok to be off topic so long as there's an OT ,
if you want to talk about weather go to a weather group

You don't think there is going to be a LOT of "home repair" required
from 120MPH winds?????