Old August 1st 20, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink stain emanating from overflow hole

This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly. It never has the stopper in, it is never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter the overflow. The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on the far side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the overflow and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do I see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Old August 1st 20, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly. It never has the stopper in, it is never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter the overflow. The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on the far side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the overflow and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do I see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system. Put some water down it
and flush it out and it may help.
Old August 1st 20, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly. It never has the stopper in, it is
never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter the
overflow. The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on the far
side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the overflow
and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do I
see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

Old August 1st 20, 09:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
TimR wrote:

This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly. It never has the stopper in, it is
never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter the
overflow. The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on the far
side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the overflow and
extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do I see
why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Could you have a lizard or insect that comes out at night?

Fred
Old August 1st 20, 09:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 06:07:20 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
[email protected] to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."

Old August 1st 20, 10:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly.Â* It never has the stopper in, it
is never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter
the overflow.Â* The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on
the far side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the
overflow and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do
I see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

WTF do you think is happening in that drain? You wash down all sort of
caustic and organic materials and they sit in the trap where that
overflow connects. Some washes back in the bottom of it. sits and
oxidizes. Then it gives off gasses that rise and coat things.
Old August 1st 20, 10:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly. It never has the stopper in, it
is never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water enter the
overflow. The overflow hole is on the near side, the faucets on the
far side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the
overflow and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor do I
see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for this.

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

WTF do you think is happening in that drain?

Most likely something like emptying the bath
is producing a surge up the drain which sees
some dirty water from the drain coming out
the overflow and its that the stains the sink.

You wash down all sort of caustic and organic materials

Its less clear that that is happening
much with that infrequently used sink.

and they sit in the trap where that overflow connects. Some washes back
in the bottom of it. sits and oxidizes. Then it gives off gasses that
rise and coat things.

But gases don’t come out the overflow and move down to the drain.

Old August 1st 20, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
This isn't a problem I need to fix, just a curiosity I wonder about.

We have a sink that is used lightly.Â* It never has the stopper in,
it is never filled, there is never a reason for it to have water
enter the overflow.Â* The overflow hole is on the near side, the
faucets on the far side.

And yet, it has developed a tan stain obviously starting at the
overflow and extending down towards the drain.

I don't see any sign water has ever come out of the overflow, nor
do I see why that would happen, but there has to be some reason for
this.

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

WTF do you think is happening in that drain?

Most likely something like emptying the bath
is producing a surge up the drain which sees
some dirty water from the drain coming out
the overflow and its that the stains the sink.

You wash down all sort of caustic and organic materials

Its less clear that that is happening
much with that infrequently used sink.

Key word -- infrequently
Dirty water sits and rots.
Old August 1st 20, 10:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 07:12:09 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

"That˘s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Old August 2nd 20, 12:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 9:17 AM, TimR wrote:
[...]

But doesn’t move out the overflow down to the drain.