Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen sink(s) and lack of overflow hole in bowl(s) - also drainage of bowls query

I recently acquired on eBay a 2 yrs old kitchen that will fit almost
perfectly into a property I am renovating for rental.

The sink is a dual bowl 'granite effect ' like this

http://www.taskersonline.com/product..._granite_sink/

Now the sink has no holes for overflows in either bowls ( no position
partially drilled either ) and I'm a bit concerned that careless tenants
could leave taps running whilst distracted elsewhere causing a flood in the
kitchen and resultant damage to kitchen units/flooring etc.

What solution would best suit the 'granite effect' sinks - should I drill
and fit a chrome overflow to each ( chrome would look a bit out of keeping
with the granite ) or are other options available and where from.

The basket strainers for each bowl were not included so I will be buying new
ones of those anyway.

ALSO - as an aside:

The property previously had a single bowl sink unit with one waste pipe to
the outside.

Do I need to provide two pipes to the outside or can the waste from each
bowl be combined into one waste pipe on the inside.

If on one pipe would there be a rise of waste water in the second bowl if
the 'plug' was removed from the first to drain that bowl.

Thanks in advance - Colin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , JDT2Q
writes
I recently acquired on eBay a 2 yrs old kitchen that will fit almost
perfectly into a property I am renovating for rental.

The sink is a dual bowl 'granite effect ' like this

http://www.taskersonline.com/product..._granite_sink/

Now the sink has no holes for overflows in either bowls ( no position
partially drilled either ) and I'm a bit concerned that careless tenants
could leave taps running whilst distracted elsewhere causing a flood in the
kitchen and resultant damage to kitchen units/flooring etc.

The idea is that each bowl acts as an over flow for the other - not a
flawless idea IMO

The question is one of whether you can find pipework to include an
overflow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , JDT2Q
writes
I recently acquired on eBay a 2 yrs old kitchen that will fit almost
perfectly into a property I am renovating for rental.

The sink is a dual bowl 'granite effect ' like this

http://www.taskersonline.com/product..._granite_sink/

Now the sink has no holes for overflows in either bowls ( no position
partially drilled either ) and I'm a bit concerned that careless
tenants could leave taps running whilst distracted elsewhere causing
a flood in the kitchen and resultant damage to kitchen
units/flooring etc.

The idea is that each bowl acts as an over flow for the other - not a
flawless idea IMO

This is becoming more & more common to have double bowl sinks without an
overflow as we know it. I agree with geoff, not a flawless idea.

One solution is to use tubes instead of plugs - they do this in commercial
kitchens - not sure about sizes - you might have to shop around.

The question is one of whether you can find pipework to include an
overflow

Two sinks discharging into the same waste pipe isn't a problem, can be an
embuggerance to fit though. Might need to lower the point where the waste
goes out through the wall to allow for the deeper bowl etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

One solution is to use tubes instead of plugs - they do this in commercial
kitchens

Depends how big your sink is. When I've washed up in large-scale
kitchens the tube over in the corner of the sink is irrelevant and out
of the way, but if I were to have one in my own kitchen sink it would
seriously hamper washing-up operations.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

One solution is to use tubes instead of plugs - they do this in
commercial kitchens

Depends how big your sink is. When I've washed up in large-scale
kitchens the tube over in the corner of the sink is irrelevant and out
of the way, but if I were to have one in my own kitchen sink it would
seriously hamper washing-up operations.

Good point Pete, hadn't thought of that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk