Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT ? Foul odor emanating from my car air conditioner

This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my garage,
part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't know where else
to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air
conditioning, vent, it produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a
minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant water in
the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car
smells of perfumed dirty socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without tearing
the car apart?? Seems to be a common problem and thus of common interest.

Thanks, and my apologies.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

Walter R. wrote:
This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my garage,
part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't know where else
to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air
conditioning, vent, it produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a
minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant water in
the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car
smells of perfumed dirty socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without tearing
the car apart?? Seems to be a common problem and thus of common interest.

Thanks, and my apologies.

Have you cleared the evaporator drain? if you haven't done that then
anything else you do will be pointless

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

In case that doesn't mean anything to you, what he is referring to is a
little tube that comes out to daylight somewhere to the rear of the
right front wheel well. If you are lucky, applying compressed air to it
will result in all the stagnant water flowing out. Note that 'out' may
be the carpet of the front passenger seat, so lay some old towels out
first. DAMHIKT.

Hey, it ain't too different from a fubar'd dishwasher or washing machine
drain, and we talk about those all the time on here.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in
:

This may not really be OT in AHR, after all, my car is parked in my
garage, part of my home. Maybe this is stretching it? :-). I don't
know where else to ask.

I drive a 1993 Chevy Lumina with 100,000 miles. Runs better than new.

Lately, when I turn on my air blower in any mode, such as heating, air
conditioning, vent, it produces a blast of foul smelling air. After a
minute, the bad smell disappears.

Googling for this misbehavior points to mold produced by stagnant
water in the a/c evaporator.

I have tried disinfectant spray in the air-intake vent but now the car
smells of perfumed dirty socks.

Does anyone know of a simple way to get rid of this stink without
tearing the car apart?? Seems to be a common problem and thus of
common interest.

Thanks, and my apologies.

My 03 Sentra SpecV's air vent smells like an ashtray,the cabin air filter
is missing,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in news:NJCdnV29osFfR1LXnZ2dnUVZ_r-
:

Nate Nagel wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

applying compressed air to a blocked tube may result in the plastic hose
splitting and needing replacement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

So what is the alternative solution? Clip the end off a bicycle brake
cable and thread it up there? Serious question- the answer I always see
in the books and hear on 'Car Talk' is to blow it out with air. I agree
you probably want to start with the lowest pressure you can rig up.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
[...]

i usually shove a piece of THHN or whatever similar that I have handy up
the tube rather than resort to the air. Also good for clearing sunroof
drains on old VWs...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the tube is some what rigid, use a shopvac. Maybe vacuum
the clog out.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

In case that doesn't mean anything to you, what he is
referring to is a
little tube that comes out to daylight somewhere to the rear
of the
right front wheel well. If you are lucky, applying
compressed air to it
will result in all the stagnant water flowing out. Note that
'out' may
be the carpet of the front passenger seat, so lay some old
towels out
first. DAMHIKT.

Hey, it ain't too different from a fubar'd dishwasher or
washing machine
drain, and we talk about those all the time on here.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 7:28*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
[...]

Try sticking a piece of wire up the AC drain hose, does trapped water
drain out? Get a Turkey Baister and squirt water up the hose and see
if it all drains back out, then fill it full of denatured alcohol and
squirt it up the AC hose, clamping closed the hose with vise grips for
maybe 60 minutes will help the alcohol to to work. Bleach kills mold-
mildew quicker, in minutes, but now your vent system will stink for a
month+ like bleach, alcohol doesnt leave much of a smell for real
long, but I dont know how really effective it is. Bleach makes the
system unuaseable for days in summer, I know, once I poured it into
the vents. Now that its cold it could be unusable for a week or more.
There are chemical poisons to kill mold , but you will also breath
them driving.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If the tube is some what rigid, use a shopvac. Maybe vacuum
the clog out.

I clear AC drain lines all the time with a shopvac. It's
a lot less messy than blowing them out. Never underestimate
the power of something that sucks. *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

From all your comments, it looks like the evaporator drain pipe is the
culprit.

Trouble is I cannot find the darned pipe, for love or money. It does not
even show up on the car manual.

Any clues anyone can share for finding the drain pipe?

Thanks, again

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in message ...
[...]

As others have said, step #1 is to find and clear the evaporator drain.

Step #2 is something called "Frigi-fresh" spray... designed to kill the nasties growing in there,
and it actually works! Google for where to buy it, and follow the directions on the can for use.

Eric Law

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 5:28*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
[...]

What "disinfectant" spray did you use? Try a mild solution of fresh
bleach water (bleach has an expiration date). Spray that into the
inlets (should be near wiper blades) on various settings with fan on
full.

Report back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2009 12:16 PM, Eric wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message ...
[...]

I remember that nasty smell in an old car I had many years ago. The
solution that worked for me was to turn off the A/C, but leave the
blower fan running in vent mode, a couple of minutes before turning off
the car. That seemed to dry out the evaporator enough so the mold
wouldn't grow while the car sat there.

I got in the habit of doing that a couple of blocks away from wherever I
was going.

- Alan

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/10/2009 3:22 PM (ET) Walter R. wrote the following:
From all your comments, it looks like the evaporator drain pipe is the
culprit.

Trouble is I cannot find the darned pipe, for love or money. It does not
even show up on the car manual.

Any clues anyone can share for finding the drain pipe?

Thanks, again

You might be better off looking for it in the passenger compartment.
Look for a rubber tube passing from the heater ductwork to the firewall.
It may be obvious or may be hidden behind the ductwork. In my Nissan PU,
it is just to the right of the center hump, and I can remove it from the
inside without going under the hood.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683