Old August 2nd 20, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sink stain emanating from overflow hole

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:57 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

WTF do you think is happening in that drain?

Most likely something like emptying the bath
is producing a surge up the drain which sees
some dirty water from the drain coming out
the overflow and its that the stains the sink.

You wash down all sort of caustic and organic materials

Its less clear that that is happening
much with that infrequently used sink.

Key word -- infrequently
Dirty water sits and rots.

But doesn’t move out the overflow down to the drain.

The stain is exactly where liquids would flow and shaped like they would be..

But it's hard to see a backup happening out the overflow that didn't also show at the drain.

I thought of fumes, but they would have to be heavier than air.

I scrubbed it off this morning, too late for a photo. If it recurs I'll do that. This is the sink I use to brush my teeth, I don't think wife or daughters ever use it, certainly not on a regular basis. So it gets about one drinking glass of water per day, but that's every day.

On the other hand. About ten years ago I replaced the faucets in that sink.. I don't remember why but I wouldn't have done that job without a darned good reason. I do remember the old ones didn't want to come out, I think I beat on them with a rubber hammer for a long time before they moved. I had to pull the sink from the vanity into the backyard to get it apart.

So it's not impossible I screwed something up when I replaced it. But it hasn't backed up or dripped underneath, so I can't have done too badly.

Old August 2nd 20, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 7:24:57 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:

Probably fumes from the trap and drain system.

Unlikely to be fumes if the stain is where liquid would run.

Put some water down it and flush it out and it may help.

WTF do you think is happening in that drain?

Most likely something like emptying the bath
is producing a surge up the drain which sees
some dirty water from the drain coming out
the overflow and its that the stains the sink.

You wash down all sort of caustic and organic materials

Its less clear that that is happening
much with that infrequently used sink.

Key word -- infrequently
Dirty water sits and rots.

But doesn’t move out the overflow down to the drain.

The stain is exactly where liquids would flow and shaped like they would
be.

That’s the crucial detail that needs to be explained.

But it's hard to see a backup happening out the overflow that didn't also
show at the drain.

That might well be due to how the overflow comes into
the drain before where the plug goes in the drain hole.

I thought of fumes, but they would have to be heavier than air.

And wouldn’t produce a stain that looks like liquid
running down. The stain would be much wider and
less defined even if the fumes were heavier than air.

I scrubbed it off this morning, too late for a photo.
If it recurs I'll do that. This is the sink I use to brush
my teeth, I don't think wife or daughters ever use it,
certainly not on a regular basis. So it gets about one
drinking glass of water per day, but that's every day.

Since you never put the plug in and never fill it, I'd
block the overflow with something and see the stain
never show up again and then block it permanently
but so that the block can be removed if you sell the
place or start using it as a filled sink again later etc.

On the other hand. About ten years ago I replaced the

faucets in that sink. I don't remember why but I wouldn't
have done that job without a darned good reason.

The usual reason is because you cant stop it dripping
and cant work out how to replace the washer seat etc.

I do remember the old ones didn't want to come
out, I think I beat on them with a rubber hammer
for a long time before they moved.

Yeah, they can seize quite easily with some poor
designs with no way to get enough leverage.

I had to pull the sink from the vanity
into the backyard to get it apart.

So it's not impossible I screwed
something up when I replaced it.

Yeah, maybe so a backup ends up with enough
backing up the overflow to be enough to stain
the sink with that dirty backup.

But it hasn't backed up or dripped underneath,
so I can't have done too badly.

But might have ended up with some sealant etc
that you used to stop it dripping redirecting a
backup up the overflow accidentally.

Old August 2nd 20, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/1/2020 5:37 PM, TimR wrote:
[...]

If you have the bowl filled with water and suddenly open the drain, the
pressure of the water at the drain will surge water into the overflow
drain tube, perhaps enough to splash some out through the drain hole or
above it where it can then run down and out.
Old August 2nd 20, 05:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
On 8/1/2020 5:37 PM, TimR wrote:
[...]

He said that it has never had a plug in it

Old August 2nd 20, 09:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Old August 2nd 20, 09:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 12:13:56 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Old August 2nd 20, 09:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 14:54:12 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Old August 7th 20, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I now have new information.

I did not know my daughter hand washes some types of clothing in a big tub and dumps it into that sink.

I'm guessing that may be the source.