Tim

Default Bathtub Questions

The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are
cheap.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2
inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming
the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

Thanks
Tim
Joseph Meehan

Tim wrote:
The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Why do they say not to use steel tubs? Ask them if they have any long
term experience with both types.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

DaddyMonkey

How much does your "new" steel tub weigh? Can you/friends lift it?

Can it fit through your bathroom door?

jdk

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tim wrote:

The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Why do they say not to use steel tubs? Ask them if they have any long
term experience with both types.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are
cheap.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2
inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming
the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

Thanks
Tim

people believe that steel tubs chip easy and wear quick compared to cast
iron tubs. i would go with cast iron but i am no expert.

Joseph Meehan

jdk wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tim wrote:

[...]

There are grades of steel tubs. The good ones are fine. They are also
a lot lighter than cast iron. I will agree that cast iron is better, but
unless you have Buba and eight of his friends along with a crane to lift it,
I would stick with steel, you only need two Bubas and a couple of normal
humans for that.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Dorot29701

I recently need to do something about my tub. It was a steel tub and it was
installed when the house was built in 1983. I wanted a cast iron tub but they
cost $300 at Home Depot plus lots of money to install and the tile would have
to come down and be replaced.

I ended up having my tub refinished and I'm quite happy with it. The tile is
fine and didn't have to be replaced so I saved money there.

Most tubs seem to be standard size. If your old one was installed in the last
20 years a new one should fit.

Dorothy
Will Niccolls

"Tim"
The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are
cheap.

I liked mine, (actually I think it was cast iron) but I don't take baths,
just showers, and when I remodeled, I tore it out and put in a shower only.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Just how cheap do are you? I bet you could find a used one for free being
pulled out of a remodel job. Call some remodelers in your area, save them
disposal cost and hassles.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2
inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming
the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

It'll probably fit.

Tubs these days come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. 60 1/8" rough
opening (stud to stud) dimensions are pretty standard---the tub normally
goes in before sheetrock or tile. If you are going to tile the surround you
probably want to tear out the sheetrock and install cement board as a
substrate. And you may want to check the rough in dimension for the
wastewater drain too.

Most manufacturers have detailed spec sheets and installation instructions
on their websites. For example:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...nstall_348.pdf

Will Niccolls