Joseph Meehan

jdk wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Tim wrote:

The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Why do they say not to use steel tubs? Ask them if they have any

long
term experience with both types.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are
cheap.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2
inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming
the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

Thanks
Tim

people believe that steel tubs chip easy and wear quick compared to cast
iron tubs. i would go with cast iron but i am no expert.

There are grades of steel tubs. The good ones are fine. They are also
a lot lighter than cast iron. I will agree that cast iron is better, but
unless you have Buba and eight of his friends along with a crane to lift it,
I would stick with steel, you only need two Bubas and a couple of normal
humans for that.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math