Will Niccolls

"Tim"
The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to
go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself
providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like
to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are
cheap.

I liked mine, (actually I think it was cast iron) but I don't take baths,
just showers, and when I remodeled, I tore it out and put in a shower only.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Just how cheap do are you? I bet you could find a used one for free being
pulled out of a remodel job. Call some remodelers in your area, save them
disposal cost and hassles.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2
inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming
the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

It'll probably fit.

Tubs these days come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. 60 1/8" rough
opening (stud to stud) dimensions are pretty standard---the tub normally
goes in before sheetrock or tile. If you are going to tile the surround you
probably want to tear out the sheetrock and install cement board as a
substrate. And you may want to check the rough in dimension for the
wastewater drain too.

Most manufacturers have detailed spec sheets and installation instructions
on their websites. For example:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...nstall_348.pdf

Will Niccolls