Craig Toth

Default Sub panel size, if I'm wiring a 50A range circuit to it?

The wife wants the clean look of an electric range so I guess I'm not only
going to have to run a 220v 50A circuit for the range, but also install a
sub-panel because I was down to 2 open circuits in my present 100A service
box.

My first inclination is to install a 60A sub panel because I will of course
be installing at least one 50A circuit. Yet, a 60A panel with one 50A seems
like I'm cutting it close.

Also my intension was to use 6/3 for the range circuit (about 25 feet long),
what should I use to run to the sub panel. The run won't be more than 2 feet
(I'll be mounting the sub panel about 8 inches from the main and connecting
them with EMT). I would think it would also be 6/3 because that's rated for
65A.

zxcvbob

Craig Toth wrote:

The wife wants the clean look of an electric range so I guess I'm not only
going to have to run a 220v 50A circuit for the range, but also install a
sub-panel because I was down to 2 open circuits in my present 100A service
box.

My first inclination is to install a 60A sub panel because I will of course
be installing at least one 50A circuit. Yet, a 60A panel with one 50A seems
like I'm cutting it close.

Also my intension was to use 6/3 for the range circuit (about 25 feet long),
what should I use to run to the sub panel. The run won't be more than 2 feet
(I'll be mounting the sub panel about 8 inches from the main and connecting
them with EMT). I would think it would also be 6/3 because that's rated for
65A.

How about a 100A subpanel? You may need a feed-through lug kit for your
old box, but they should be cheap. Use four #4 wires, although the
ground and probably the neutral could be #6.

I would look into replacing the main panel with a 150A and not need a
subpanel, but adding a subpanel might be adequate and would be a lot
cheaper. You need to do a load analysis and see how much headroom your
existing service has.

Bob
Craig Toth

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Craig Toth wrote:

[...]

Like you said, cost. Headroom should be fine. There was an electric range in
the kitchen before remodeling back when I had a 60 amp service with no main
breakers. I really don't think I'll need another 100A box. Another 8
circuits will probably last me.

Eric Tonks

Run a 60 amp sub-panel and transfer enough circuits into it to allow the
breaker for the range to be installed in the main panel box. If you use a
large enough sub-panel, you can make enough room for the sub-panel's 60 amp
breaker plus the 50 amp breaker for the stove in the main panel then use the
sub-panel for lower amp circuits plus have extra positions left for any
future additional breakers.

[...]

zxcvbob

Craig Toth wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

Craig Toth wrote:

[...]

I meant another 100A box fed as a subpanel off the first box; it would
give you 6 to 12 additional spaces, but no added capacity because it
would be limited by the 100A main breaker in your main panel.

100A and 125A "main lug" load centers are *really* cheap. There's no
reason you can't feed one from a 60A or 70A breaker in the first panel,
or from the feed-thru lugs, and it would give you more spaces than a 60A
subpanel.

Bob

Wiring a 480V Single Phase Circuit Joshua Home Repair 58 June 8th 20 02:39 PM
unisaw wiring? 20 or 30 amp circuit? skeezics Woodworking 16 July 30th 04 06:01 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM
Converting JWTS-10CW2 to 230V and circuit wiring.. Subw00er Woodworking 14 January 2nd 04 09:46 PM