xyz

Default peepholes

I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

One peephole is behind a mirror. I've heard about this problem in motel
rooms but don't know exactly what's involved. Is it just a hole in the
wall behind the mirror, and the silver on the back of the mirror is
scratched off, or is there something else involved? Is there a way to
locate the peephole without removing the mirror? I want to subtly find
the hole and try to document if it's used.

The other hole is somewhere in a wall that's made of something the
thickness of heavy cardboard on my side but finished to look like
drywall. Any ideas on what this material is and how to find peepholes
in this material? I tried turning off the light, hoping that the light
was on on the other side so that I could see the hole, but I think that
they block the hole when not in use and turn off their light and close
their door when using the peephole.

My thinking is to collect some evidence, then get the police to inspect
the neighbor's place. Any comments that don't involve violence?

Thanks

Joe Fabeitz

Try putting on a "show" for the neighbors. If you hear moans and screams,
you know your good. If you only hear heavy breathing, you need to work on
your style. Hope you don't hear "boo's".

Seriously.......doh!

"xyz" wrote in message ...
[...]

m Ransley

Watch out they probably cut through the wall and steal your electricity
by wiring into your socket. You may have listening- video devices in
your walls , phone, and they may access your computer through the
modem. They probably read your mail and reseal it, time to move to a
different country.

Edwin Pawlowski

"xyz" wrote in message ...
I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

Lucky you. My neighbor's house is 200 feet away. I really have to look hard
to see anything. Do you think I should get a camera?

William W. Plummer

Joe Fabeitz wrote:

Try putting on a "show" for the neighbors. If you hear moans and screams,
you know your good. If you only hear heavy breathing, you need to work on
your style. Hope you don't hear "boo's".

In our case it would result in hysterical laughter. For a few bucks at
the local video store they can get a much more interesting show with and
the actors will be much better equiped.

James Owens

Have you considered installing a sound-activated switch? When you
think the peephole is in use, just clap your hands so YOUR lights go out
suddenly. I suggest that you close your eyes for a few seconds before
doing this so your pupils will be dark-adapted. Scan the suspected areas
for signs of light; also listen for any commotion on the other side of the
wall as they try to get the thing closed.

For the hardboard area, I don't quite understand why you can't see the
peephole -- how do you think it might be concealed?

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada
James Owens

xyz ) writes:
I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

One peephole is behind a mirror. I've heard about this problem in motel
rooms but don't know exactly what's involved. Is it just a hole in the
wall behind the mirror, and the silver on the back of the mirror is
scratched off, or is there something else involved? Is there a way to
locate the peephole without removing the mirror? I want to subtly find
the hole and try to document if it's used.

If you scratch off the refective backing of a mirror, the mirror shouldn't
work very well -- only the glass is reflecting. At the very least there
should be a discolouration. Try it yourself with an old bit of mirror held
against a wall. Maybe with a bright flashlight you can detect a
difference in the reflectivity.

The other hole is somewhere in a wall that's made of something the
thickness of heavy cardboard on my side but finished to look like
drywall. Any ideas on what this material is and how to find peepholes
in this material?

I don't understand why you can't just see the hole.

My thinking is to collect some evidence, then get the police to inspect
the neighbor's place. Any comments that don't involve violence?

If you can document any suspicious pattern of noises it might help, though
it's a faint hope.

--
"For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."
-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

SteveB

some paranoid type writes:
I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

One peephole is behind a mirror. I've heard about this problem in motel
rooms but don't know exactly what's involved. Is it just a hole in the
wall behind the mirror, and the silver on the back of the mirror is
scratched off, or is there something else involved? Is there a way to
locate the peephole without removing the mirror? I want to subtly find
the hole and try to document if it's used.

I wouldn't worry about it. Wireless spy cameras can now be bought that are
incorporated into clocks, radios, smoke detectors, Kleenex boxes, furniture
legs, ceiling tiles, porcelain, you name it. I doubt that they would be
using the old technology of the scratch the mirror trick, or drill a hole in
the wall trick. I would personally examine every inch of carpet, drywall,
ceiling, and surface. I would disassemble every appliance and anything big
enough to hold a miniature camera, and they are as small as a dime. Use a
hammer if you need to. Let nothing go unsmashed. Not an electric razor,
not a toothbrush, not a square inch of drywall.

Now get to it.

Steve

Jim Tiberio

"xyz" wrote in message ...
I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

This ought to help:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

m Ransley

The only way to be sure is gut your place to studs, floors, walls,
ceilings. Let us know what you find. This is serious stuff, take action
now.

Art

He should fill the next door apartment with toxic gas, then break in and
you've caught the guy in the act.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
The only way to be sure is gut your place to studs, floors, walls,
ceilings. Let us know what you find. This is serious stuff, take action
now.

Philip Lewis

"Art" writes:
He should fill the next door apartment with toxic gas, then break in and
you've caught the guy in the act.

take a hint from magical trevor:
beans lotsa beans lotsa beans lotsa beasn
oh beans lotsa beans lotsa beans lotsa beans yeah yeah!

....or you can put schodengers cat in the bathroom and ask if it's been
observed.

--
be safe.
flip

PrecisionMachinisT

"xyz" wrote in message ...

I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

Suggest install a spy camera so you can video them in the act--good hard
evidence is needed to get something like this to stick in a court trial.

--

SVL

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

xrongor wrote:
trolling or crazy. you decide.

I vote for troll.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

xyz

I understand how my post could look like a troll or be amusing,
but I'm serious.

Thanks for offering something useful

Apparently, my neighbor doesn't realize how thin the walls are
and talks about what I'm doing. For example, I'm doing a project
in the kitchen, so I was eating pizza in the bathroom and heard
comments next door.

"I don't understand why you can't just see the hole."

I haven't had time to inspect the wall carefully. If I don't see
anything, I might just forget about this wall and see if I have
any luck with the mirror.

I'm not freaking out about this problem, but I think that I'm as
annoyed as alot of other people would be and appreciate any
constructive comments.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message

I vote for troll.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

While I respect your opinion, read the next post about eating pizza in the
bathroom. It's OK, you can change your vote.
Ed

xyz

bumtracks wrote:

I'm dying to know what/why/how have you so far decided that these peek
holes probably exist.

I posted above on 2004-08-27 16:51:26 PST:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...C2C3%40abc.net

Again, if you suspected this problem, you'd probably hope that
people take you seriously and would offer help. There's not much
that I can do to convince anyone here except to repeat more
examples of the neighbor discussing what I'm doing.

I think that it's as odd as people stated that there's a peephole
in a wall that I can't see. That's why I'm asking for ideas.

For the constructive posts, thanks. The sound-activated device and
listening for a knee-jerk response is interesting. For the post
about the camera and collecting evidence, I'm guessing that my best
shot is to search the next unit after I confirm the existence of a
peephole. I believe that a former Hooters' manager just got a
3-year sentence for peeping on girls changing, but they found lots
of video, and I'm not expecting to find evidence that they actually
use the peephole. I thought that maybe a police search might scare
them into patching any holes.

The sidenote about backing medicine cabinets is interesting.

Like the post above joked, I'm not great looking either, so I'd
think that they'd try to cover any holes to AVOID seeing anything.
And I'm not female or underage, so these types of issues are irrelevant.

As a last resort, I can just pull the mirror and check. I don't have
anyone to help me, don't want to deal with putting the mirror back,
don't want to risk breaking the mirror, and was hoping not to tip off
the neighbors, so I thought that I'd try here first. I don't mind the
skepticism, but I wasn't expecting so much flaming.

Anyway, no hard feelings here

m Ransley

For a mirror to be transparent a light shown from behind will show this
if it exists, which I dought. Removing the silver will be evident you
would see it. Id say you have a cheap bldg and crappy tennants that cant
see you but hear you and harass you. A camera would need a hole apx
1/16" look for the hole or forget it you truely sound over paranoid.
Why would they go to the expense? they would not as I see it.

bumtracks

fwiw; I've seen the mirror trick done fixing a wobbling wall cabinet in
a bathroom. Took it out to see where I was going to drive nails or screw
into tooo...
Backside of the mirror looked to have two coatings if I recall correctly,
silver with black on the far back. The black was removed/scraped off messy
but left a neat non glossy silver spot.
From the from reflective side of the mirror it looked like a water spot
discoloration on the back side. Maybe about the size of the tip of a new
pencil eraser.

guy lived alone, must have spied on his guests because it looked into his
own main bathroom,
he would have had to yank that cabinet out and stick his head in-between
wall studs to see anything if he used it.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
For a mirror to be transparent a light shown from behind will show this
if it exists, which I dought. Removing the silver will be evident you
would see it. Id say you have a cheap bldg and crappy tennants that cant
see you but hear you and harass you. A camera would need a hole apx
1/16" look for the hole or forget it you truely sound over paranoid.
Why would they go to the expense? they would not as I see it.

xrongor

"xyz" wrote in message ...
bumtracks wrote:

[...]

i bet you've spent more time worrying about it than it would have taken to
remove the mirror and check. ooh, i forgot. its too risky!!! do you even
bother to go outside any more?

you clearly dont like the neighbors, why do you care if they catch you
catching them peeping on you?

wake up!!

randy

PaPaPeng

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:51:57 GMT, xyz wrote:

I understand how my post could look like a troll or be amusing,
but I'm serious.

Thanks for offering something useful

Apparently, my neighbor doesn't realize how thin the walls are
and talks about what I'm doing. For example, I'm doing a project
in the kitchen, so I was eating pizza in the bathroom and heard
comments next door.

"I don't understand why you can't just see the hole."

I haven't had time to inspect the wall carefully. If I don't see
anything, I might just forget about this wall and see if I have
any luck with the mirror.

I'm not freaking out about this problem, but I think that I'm as
annoyed as alot of other people would be and appreciate any
constructive comments.

If you are an ordinary specimen of mankind like the rest of us there
isn't really much worth looking at. To satisfy your neighbor's
curiosity why not take a nude picture of yourself and hang it right in
front of the peep hole. She gets her jollies anytime she wants and
you get your peace. If the peeper is a he then your problem isn't
just a peephole's.

xyz

"cheap bldg and crappy tennants"

Yes

"tennants that cant see you but hear you"

I mentioned one example above that the neighbor commented
on my eating pizza in the bathroom while working on a kitchen
project, but I hope that you're right.

"A camera would need a hole apx 1/16" "

I'm not assuming that they use a camera.

"Why would they go to the expense?"

If a great-looking girl lived here before, I can imagine some
jerk making a hole. I'm not sure that it'd be much expense.

"you truely sound over paranoid."

I don't see why you can't acknowledge that this is a plausible
problem. It's not a great leap of faith that this sort of
thing happens, and I'm not over-reacting to the situation.

xyz

Thanks

That's interesting that the silver might not be completely removed.
I'll look more closely for irregularities by cleaning the mirror and
using a flashlight.

For your experience, I wonder if the cabinet was installed to
fix the peephole problem and to cover the exposed wall studs.

bumtracks wrote:

fwiw; I've seen the mirror trick done fixing a wobbling wall cabinet in
a bathroom. Took it out to see where I was going to drive nails or screw
into tooo...
Backside of the mirror looked to have two coatings if I recall correctly,
silver with black on the far back. The black was removed/scraped off messy
but left a neat non glossy silver spot.
From the from reflective side of the mirror it looked like a water spot
discoloration on the back side. Maybe about the size of the tip of a new
pencil eraser.

guy lived alone, must have spied on his guests because it looked into his
own main bathroom,
he would have had to yank that cabinet out and stick his head in-between
wall studs to see anything if he used it.

m Ransley

Peephole ? creephole, Wormhole ? Botom line MOVE.....

Jim Yanik

xyz wrote in :

"cheap bldg and crappy tennants"

Yes

"tennants that cant see you but hear you"

I mentioned one example above that the neighbor commented
on my eating pizza in the bathroom while working on a kitchen
project, but I hope that you're right.

"A camera would need a hole apx 1/16" "

I'm not assuming that they use a camera.

"Why would they go to the expense?"

If a great-looking girl lived here before, I can imagine some
jerk making a hole. I'm not sure that it'd be much expense.

"you truely sound over paranoid."

I don't see why you can't acknowledge that this is a plausible
problem. It's not a great leap of faith that this sort of
thing happens, and I'm not over-reacting to the situation.

It HAS happened before,so it's entirely possible now.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Dan Hartung

xyz wrote:
I'm fairly certain that there are peepholes in my two bathrooms
in the walls shared with a neighbor's bathrooms.

I take you seriously; you didn't cut and run on this post, for one
thing. For another, I've been aroudn the internet and I've *seen* what
is out there. Also, there are occasional criminal cases.

I will say that one of our tenants believed that the former landlord,
who lived upstairs of her, was spying, as he always seemed to be right
above her. I've been through that place and haven't found anything. So
paranoia does occur too.

One peephole is behind a mirror. I've heard about this problem in motel
rooms but don't know exactly what's involved. Is it just a hole in the
wall behind the mirror, and the silver on the back of the mirror is
scratched off, or is there something else involved? Is there a way to
locate the peephole without removing the mirror? I want to subtly find
the hole and try to document if it's used.

Usually the mirror's silver will be scratched in an inconspicuous place
like a corner. The other option is one-way glass (aka, incongruously,
"two way mirror"), which would have a different appearance from a
typical bathroom mirror. They tend to be metallic and cloudy. If there's
any light on the other side, you can actually see back through, and you
can also see through dimly if you get up close to the glass.

(I used to work in a place with psych interview rooms.)

If there's really a hole in the *wall*, though, you'll have to remove
the mirror to prove it's there. Mirrors aren't that hard, they're just
fragile, awkward, and heavy. ;-) Find out how it's supported; sometimes
they are just resting on brackets and clipped in place at the top.
Removing those clips would allow you to tilt the mirror out without
removing it completely.

The other hole is somewhere in a wall that's made of something the
thickness of heavy cardboard on my side but finished to look like
drywall. Any ideas on what this material is and how to find peepholes
in this material?

Odd. Like a false wall, you're thinking?

(Tell us more. Is this a standard apartment building, or a converted
single-family house, and when was the conversion done?)

It could be a plywood or fiberboard of some type. What kind of sound
does it make when you plonk it with a finger? Does it have any "give"?
But I doubt it's in the material so much as in a convenient corner or
molding.

I tried turning off the light, hoping that the light
was on on the other side so that I could see the hole, but I think that
they block the hole when not in use and turn off their light and close
their door when using the peephole.

That would be wise, of course. You could "stake out" the room by sitting
there in the dark before they come in, if you can hear them. That might
give you a flash of light as they open the door, telling you where the
hole is.

My thinking is to collect some evidence, then get the police to inspect
the neighbor's place. Any comments that don't involve violence?

Let the police take care of it. If there is any evidence on *your* side
that you can show them, then they will have probable cause for a search.
If not, they will need the permission of the other tenant, or the
landlord. Proving it was used, without evidence like video, would be the
hard part, and possibly not worth it to you. (It will take months to
come to trial, the prosecutor will put you off, etc.) Consider just
moving instead. If you have evidence, the landlord will probably quickly
evict the other tenants, though, so you could wait that out. The
landlord has a duty of care to give you privacy.

Anyway, a sanity check. Are you sure there's no way they could see you
(eating pizza, say) without "peeping" -- e.g. a reflection on the next
door building's windows? That happened to me once -- neighborhood
teenagers would hang out on their deck and even though I couldn't see
them directly, they could see activity in the bathroom reflected in
their windows, generating raucous laughter. We solved it by getting
better shades.

xyz

I appreciate the responses from yourself and Jim Yanik.
Nice sanity checks

You seem very experienced, so let me explain my situation if
you don't mind and get your thoughts. I'm working with limited
available time to prepare this property to sell ASAP, so I'd
rather not deal with this at all. My understanding is that part
of disclosure to buyers is that you must state any problems like
"nuisance neighbors" or fix the problem before disclosure.
Given the responses here, I suppose that I might claim
that I'm not paranoid and that there are no peepholes, so no
disclosure is required. The other approach is to start with
a reasonable amount of investigation and follow where it leads.
Do you think that I should just forget about this?

I'll try your mirror inspection technique when I return home.
It's a quick check before pulling the mirror, so why not?
I thought that I'd also try turning off the light and angling
a flashlight beam to spot irregularities. Another quick check.
I'm using my time on the road to gather info after suspecting
this problem last week.

I also like the idea of tilting the mirror since it is mounted with
brackets, which I'm pretty sure that I can do myself.

"Tell us more. Is this a standard apartment building, or a converted
single-family house, and when was the conversion done?"

Given everyone's wondering about why I can't just see a hole, I
think that I might skip this problem and focus on the mirror, but
thanks for offering your help.

I might try your idea about sitting in the dark. I'll just choose an
appropriate moment like making some noise rather than waiting
forever.

There are no windows in the bathrooms, but that doesn't mean
that I'm not wrong about the peepholes. I'm wrong about
many things.

Thanks for the very complete, useful post

Dan Hartung wrote:

xyz wrote:
[...]

Jimmie

"xrongor" wrote in message
"xyz" wrote in message ...
bumtracks wrote:

[...]

Sounds more like he may be trying to make a peephole instead of finding one.

Oscar_Lives

"xyz" wrote in message ...
I understand how my post could look like a troll or be amusing,
but I'm serious.

Thanks for offering something useful

Apparently, my neighbor doesn't realize how thin the walls are
and talks about what I'm doing. For example, I'm doing a project
in the kitchen, so I was eating pizza in the bathroom and heard
comments next door.

"I don't understand why you can't just see the hole."

I haven't had time to inspect the wall carefully. If I don't see
anything, I might just forget about this wall and see if I have
any luck with the mirror.

I'm not freaking out about this problem, but I think that I'm as
annoyed as alot of other people would be and appreciate any
constructive comments.

Are you good looking? Describe yourself...

xrongor

best theory i've heard so far...

randy

Sounds more like he may be trying to make a peephole instead of finding

one.

xrongor

if you are serious, then do something productive. stop trying to outsmart
yourself with your primative detective work. call the cops and explain the
situation. ask them if they can recommend a professional you can hire who
knows how to find these things.

randy

Philip Lewis

xyz writes:
I might try your idea about sitting in the dark. I'll just choose an
appropriate moment like making some noise rather than waiting
forever.

Have any good female (voice) actor friends?
you could lure them in with sounds of a promiscuous nature.
then go knock on the door and see if she hears them leave the
bathroom, or if they answer the door all hot and bothered.

--
be safe.
flip