Matt Morgan

Default Compressor start relay

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....

I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt
up. FSP part no 1105046.

Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped
making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for
$175!!!!!!!

Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.

So... 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

Any comments welcome.

Matt
Travis Jordan

Matt Morgan wrote:
1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

You should be able to use any relay with the same (or better) electrical
characteristics. Just mount it outboard to the existing relay (which is
on the compressor) and run a few wires.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
om...
Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....

I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt
up. FSP part no 1105046.

Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped
making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for
$175!!!!!!!

Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.

So... 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

Any comments welcome.

Call your local mom and pop appliance repair place, they usually stock
universal starter relay kits for the fridges and that--probly cost you 20 to
30 bucks....

They will probly want to know how many cu. ft. the fridge is, as there is
some different sizes that they sell.

--

SVL

Terry

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

[...]

Agree; BTW is that the type realy that's 'sort of upright' and plugs into
the side of the compressor; often has varnished copper wire winding (you can
see the turns of copper wire on the coil) etc.
Someone might have one scrapped out of a similar fridge, for example I saw a
whole compressor complete with relay in a junk store the other day for $15.
Unless one knew something about refrigeration and recharging a system the
compressor wouldn't be much use to anybody. But the relay on it looked
intact! The relay is the kind of thing that an amateur and or professional
might pull off and chuck in the junk box when a fridge is being junked. So I
would certainly try a local family run repair business!
Good luck.

JohnR

When the relay on my fridge compressor died, I went to the appliance store
and bought a universal solid state starter kit complete with overload
thermal breaker for $18.
John

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
om...
Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....

I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt
up. FSP part no 1105046.

Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped
making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for
$175!!!!!!!

Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.

So... 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

Any comments welcome.

Matt

Matt Morgan

Thanks all!

Went to repairclinic.com..... found one for $50, ordered it, on the
way.

Amazing though.... called about 5 different places before I found
them. Prices ranged from $125 to $500. Marcone wanted $375.

Thanks again!

Matt
Travis Jordan

Matt Morgan wrote:
Thanks all!

Went to repairclinic.com..... found one for $50, ordered it, on the
way.

Amazing though.... called about 5 different places before I found
them. Prices ranged from $125 to $500. Marcone wanted $375.

Thanks again!

Matt

FYI (next time) the Sears parts site shows the whole compressor
(including the start relay and a bunch of other parts) for about $238!

Stormin Mormon

Refrig guys have "three in one start kits". I can't think of the brand, but
at least two companies make universal relay and overload combination kits
for refrigeration compressors.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Refrig guys have "three in one start kits". I can't think of the brand,

but
at least two companies make universal relay and overload combination kits
for refrigeration compressors.

Good thing you cant think of the name, since those 3-N-1's are GARBAGE.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
om...
Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup for this question.....

I have a Kenmore model 106.8590581, whose compressor start relay burnt
up. FSP part no 1105046.

Looking around last night, it appears that they just plain old stopped
making this part. I did find one site that had one...... for
$175!!!!!!!

Jeezy Weezy..... it's just a darn relay.

So... 2 questions:

1) Anyone know a place to get hard to find/obsolete parts?
2) Could a start relay for a compressor with similar electrical
characteristics be used instead? I know it wouldn't fit exactly where
the old one did, but for some reason I have to think this darn relay
isn't as complex as the space shuttle.

Any comments welcome.

Matt

PrecisionMachinisT

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Refrig guys have "three in one start kits". I can't think of the brand,

but
at least two companies make universal relay and overload combination

kits
for refrigeration compressors.

Good thing you cant think of the name, since those 3-N-1's are GARBAGE.

I would guess those must be the ones with the bimetal disc that heats up and
clicks instead of having magnetics, been there done that--never
again.........

--

SVL

TURTLE

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in
message ...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Refrig guys have "three in one start kits". I can't think of the brand,

but
at least two companies make universal relay and overload combination kits
for refrigeration compressors.

Good thing you cant think of the name, since those 3-N-1's are GARBAGE.

This is Turetle.

Don't be talking about Stormy's high end replacement parts. The high end RCO-410
is Stormy's high end replacement part for freezers and refrigerators. The
numbers and Letter are hard to remember when under pressure answering question
quickly on the alt.home.repair.

TURTLE

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

PM and Turtle:

To the OP, I would have used a Supco PO115, IF it was possible, since the
cost on the solid state relay would have been under $25.

Now, Big T...I would have considered Stormy to be a RCO-810 kinda guy...and
even the kind that would use a SPP in a pinch...I mean...it DOES say
POW-R-Pac on it...

PM...I dunno...the Klixon style overload is actually what comes on most all
your lower HP comps for general refrigeration use now....so while its a sure
POS, it DOES work, provided that you (and you, T and I, DO) know how to
properly install, set up, and charge one...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

[...]

Matt Morgan

OK All...

Got the new start relay (took the old one apart, completely charred
inside).

Hooked it all back up, and all that happens is the start relay clicks
on and off, on and off.

Reviewing the board for similar problems, I've found 3 steps to take
from he

1) Replace run capacitor.
2) Buy a "hard start" kit to squeeze maybe another year out of the
thing.
3) Call the dump to come pick it up.

I left my ohmmeter at work, so no way to test the cap tonight. Just
thought I'd see if anyone wants to place any bets on how this turns
out.

Option #2 is not something I will consider, BTW

Thanks
Matt
Matt Morgan

Whoops.

Sorry folks, there was a 4th possibility not even counted upon. Not
even Sheriff Obie considered it.

4. Stupid homeowner who has no business messing with compressors,
start relays or capacitors..... realizes that he hooked the new start
relay up wrong.

Fridge is cooling now.

Thanks all, for your help and comments!!!!!!!!