Ron

Default Help in pullng wires through 1/2 inch EMT

I'm installing a 20 amp outlet across my garage and I'm pulling 3-12 gauge
conductors. I have one square 4 inch box on each side of the garage and a
1/2" pulling elbow in the middle of the 40 foot run---so that the wire is
not being pulled through more than 270 degrees plus the box kick.

Do I pull the wires from the pulling elbow by first, pulling the wires
through one box and completely out the elbow, then running the fish tape
though the other box and pulling the wire through the elbow to the box?

Or, do I just pull the wires from one box to the other directly through the
elbow?

I tried the first option and I suspect I stripped some of the insulation off
of the wires because the hard, clear plastic sheath surrounding the
insulation was scraped up.

Any tips on pulling wire would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Ron

bumtracks

sounds like you're going it alone and might want to put a plastic bushing on
the connector in the feed box and some cardboard funneled/shaped/taped to
feed that connector so you don't snag any sharp edges on the box and pull it
out the SLB
then add some cardboard shaped/funneled/taped to the SLB and pull it
out the other end. Probably just shove it through rather than pull it if
its solid wire ,,, just take your time and you wont need anything but common
sense.

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Bryan Berguson

Do what Randy said (ky jelly) or you can get "wire lubricant" from and an
electrical supplier. It's made for pulling wires and won't harm them.

--
Bryan
RSG Roll call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=bergusonb
xrongor" wrote in message
news
lube the wire with ky jelly. no, seriously.

randy

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
[...]

indago

040819 2131 - Ron posted:

[...]

As long as you didn't scrape the insulation off down to the copper the wires
should be OK. The clear plastic is a covering over the actual insulation of
the wires.

Ron

"Bryan Berguson" wrote in message
Do what Randy said (ky jelly) or you can get "wire lubricant" from and an
electrical supplier. It's made for pulling wires and won't harm them.

I forgot to mention that I did use wire lubricant.

Ron

Greg

In the last few weeks I have pulled about a half mile of wire in a massive
renovation project in my home. There is no single easy answer but it is a
combination of pulling, pushing and lub. I have been using a vacuum to suck a
piece of jet line in for a pull string and right at the end I squirt a little
"Yellow 66" in the pipe, letting the vacuum pull it through. Then connect the
jet line to the bundle of wire and start pulling from the far end while your
helper pushes and squirts in more lub..
Zypher

And quite honestly you should have reamed the ends of the cut EMT, would
stop the wire stripping. But a plastic entrance bushing would help. I'd
pull to the LB, and then pull again from there. It would be easier to get
a helper to feed the wire while you pull the fish tape.

--
Zyp
"indago" wrote in message
040819 2131 - Ron posted:

[...]

HA HA Budys Here

If the run is that short and you're using solid conductors, you shouldn't even
need a snake, just push the wires through.

Ron

Thanks to all who responded.
Bumtracks, your advice to use a bushing worked well and I also protected the
edges of the box . I found that the clear coating over the insulation was
damaged on the second pull at the pulling elbow, but no damage to the
insulation itself.

Ha Ha Budys Here,
You were right, I was able to push the wires through most of the run.

Ron

"Ron" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Childfree Scott

You are using 3 stranded single conductor wires, aren't you?

That romex crap isn't intended to be pulled through condult, even if
you strip off the outer jacket.