Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Creaky stairs fix ?

In my condo the stairs have become very creaky. They are covered w/carpet and I am sure they are prefabbed. When I walk up and down the stairs certain steps creak a lot, I don't think they are going to fail anytime soon, but it just not instill a lot of confidence.

How do I fix these stairs ?
1. ) Rip all the carpet off and glue & screw it all back together ?
2. ) Order new set of stairs ?
3. ) Hire a carpenter to patch them up ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Diet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

June 25, 2020 at 8:53PM, wrote:
In my condo the stairs have become very creaky. They are covered w/carpet and I am sure they are prefabbed. When I walk up and down the stairs certain steps creak a lot, I don't think they are going to fail anytime soon, but it just not instill a lot of confidence.

How do I fix these stairs ?
1. ) Rip all the carpet off and glue & screw it all back together ?
2. ) Order new set of stairs ?
3. ) Hire a carpenter to patch them up ?

On a construction remodeling site, I heard two guys with a power drill drilling screws into old floor board saying that that's how to stop noisy creaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 16:31:10 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

In my condo the stairs have become very creaky. They are covered
w/carpet and I am sure they are prefabbed. When I walk up and down
the stairs certain steps creak a lot, I don't think they are going to
fail anytime soon, but it just not instill a lot of confidence.

How do I fix these stairs ?
1. ) Rip all the carpet off and glue & screw it all back together ?
2. ) Order new set of stairs ?
3. ) Hire a carpenter to patch them up ?

i believe they make screws that go through the carpet, then
snap off with the sharp parts down in the carpet.
I vaguely recall seeing this on This Old House many years ago.

I've lived in my current house more than 40 years.
Last year I had all the carpets removed and the wood floors
repaired and refinished. Bare wood is so much nicer than carpet.

There was a recent Ask This Old House that
showed wood stair repair. They were removing and reattaching treads.
There may be screws for wood surfaces too.

This site is full of politics, YouTube searches are a better way to go.

If the back side of the stair is accessible driving in shims fixes
the problem

Creaky floors and joists [email protected] Home Repair 20 February 10th 07 01:58 PM
creaky laminate Mr Harry UK diy 1 October 23rd 06 12:43 PM
Creaky Floors Chris Eytcheson Home Repair 4 September 5th 06 04:59 AM
Creaky Floorboards and Table update... mo UK diy 1 September 18th 05 08:36 PM
Creaky Floorbaords mo UK diy 11 September 17th 05 01:05 AM