mo

Default Creaky Floorbaords

A question thats been asked millions of times no doubt...

Before I do my new desk I have to sort out some creaky floorboards
underneath my PC area.

I understand screws are the solution... should I be making new screw holes -
or perhaps putting in bigger/fatter screws into the exitising ones that may
not be holding.

Also I have one floorboard in particular which has 'gone down' into the
ground (i.e something underneath had broken off) - it has only lowered like
2cms and is noticeable - any idea how to fix this (i will have to lift up
the carpet before I can try anything - i am hoping it will be as replacing a
wooden block and screwing down...

Finally, are there any spray type things that might relieve the creaking
sounds??

Before I do my new desk I have to sort out some creaky floorboards
underneath my PC area.

The lengths I had to go to in order to (virtually) stop the creaking,
was to
cut all the tongues from the boards, take up the boards, cover all
joints with gaffer tape and replace. Nothing else worked. The tongues
and grooves were creaking due to warping and shinkage of the wood. Some
creaks remained due to small cracks in the wood, that meant the wood
even creaked within itself. Old dry wood creaks very easily !
Simon.

Lobster

mo wrote:
A question thats been asked millions of times no doubt...

Oh yes - definitely worth googling the archives of this ng!

Before I do my new desk I have to sort out some creaky floorboards
underneath my PC area.

I understand screws are the solution... should I be making new screw holes -
or perhaps putting in bigger/fatter screws into the exitising ones that may
not be holding.

Also I have one floorboard in particular which has 'gone down' into the
ground (i.e something underneath had broken off) - it has only lowered like
2cms and is noticeable - any idea how to fix this (i will have to lift up
the carpet before I can try anything - i am hoping it will be as replacing a
wooden block and screwing down...

You need to get that carpet up and see what's there before you'll get
any definitive answers.

Floorboards are normally nailed down originally rather than screwed; if
the boards are creaking then more often than not, using screws will sort
it out.

As regards the sagging board - might be a board broken (eg by an
electrician doing some rewiring) in which case, replace board. Might be
that the board was cut across it's width (by the electrician?!) and has
nothing under it to support it; in which case hopefully it's right next
to a joist, then you can lift the board and screw a noggin (ie a block
of wood) to said joist to act as a support for the sagging board.

I think the answers to both your queries will probably be self-evident
when you can look under the carpet.

David
Steven Campbell

"mo" nospam wrote in message ...
[...]

I found putting loads of talc down cured a lot but not all of my creaking.

Steven.

mo

"Lobster" wrote in message

I think the answers to both your queries will probably be self-evident
when you can look under the carpet.

David

I'm afraid of what I might find

Mr Fizzion

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:24:28 +0100, "mo" nospam wrote:

A question thats been asked millions of times no doubt...

Before I do my new desk I have to sort out some creaky floorboards
underneath my PC area.

I understand screws are the solution... should I be making new screw holes -
or perhaps putting in bigger/fatter screws into the exitising ones that may
not be holding.

Also I have one floorboard in particular which has 'gone down' into the
ground (i.e something underneath had broken off) - it has only lowered like
2cms and is noticeable - any idea how to fix this (i will have to lift up
the carpet before I can try anything - i am hoping it will be as replacing a
wooden block and screwing down...

Finally, are there any spray type things that might relieve the creaking
sounds??

They're almost certainly nailed down rather than screwed. The problem
with screws is that you can see them whereas nails are almost
invisible if you use the right type. If you ever want bare varnished
boards nails are probably better. If you don't then screw them down -
in many cases that totally cures the creaking which is caused by the
boards moving up and down along the nails.

DO NOT screw without checking for cables and pipes! Sometimes these
run in a notch in the joists along the centre of one of the boards.

As for the board that has gone down - it is quite likely that some
electrician or plumber has cut it and not supported it properly when
putting it back. Screw or nail a large chunk of wood at the side of
the joist and then screw the board down into it.

Mr F.

Mathew Newton

Lobster wrote:

Might be
that the board was cut across it's width (by the electrician?!) and has
nothing under it to support it; in which case hopefully it's right next
to a joist, then you can lift the board and screw a noggin (ie a block
of wood) to said joist to act as a support for the sagging board.

...and if it's not next to a joist you can screw a noggin/support under
the two adjacent boards.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fizzion
[...]

Or worse still the little blighters called woodworm (or their similar mates) have had ago and the floorboard is structurally unsound. Not to put the sh*tters up you though. Investigate and report back!
mo

--
Cordless Crazy

I was thinking along those lines - we have lived here for 15 years - and i
have stayed in this bedroom for almost that long and I can not remember any
workmen taking up the carpets- i doubt theres anything under my room as i
have no heater, just a light switch!

I am feeling it is probably 'rotten' wood.

Lift off/up in approx 2.5 hours!

Steven Campbell

"mo" nospam wrote in message ...

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in

message

Or worse still the little blighters called woodworm (or their similar
mates) have had ago and the floorboard is structurally unsound. Not to
put the sh*tters up you though. Investigate and report back!

--
Cordless Crazy

I was thinking along those lines - we have lived here for 15 years - and i
have stayed in this bedroom for almost that long

You really should try the outside world. It's not really a big bad place ;o)

Rob Morley

In article ,
Newsgroup@newsgroup says...
"mo" nospam wrote in message ...

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in

message

Or worse still the little blighters called woodworm (or their similar
mates) have had ago and the floorboard is structurally unsound. Not to
put the sh*tters up you though. Investigate and report back!

--
Cordless Crazy

I was thinking along those lines - we have lived here for 15 years - and i
have stayed in this bedroom for almost that long

You really should try the outside world. It's not really a big bad place ;o)

Don't you mean "not *only* a big bad place"?
mo

I went out and left it too late to 'fix' the boards - some will need
screwing down, one isnt screwed down at all on one end!

What kind of places can I go to buy floorboards (if i take one of my own can
they 'copy' them?