Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Low splash bleach

I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less
effective as each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio
(i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable
in its diluted form)."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:21:36 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less
effective as each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio
(i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable
in its diluted form)."

You find that out real fast if you have a pool or a spa.
You even notice the concentrates break down pretty quick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 6:21:16 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less
effective as each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio
(i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable
in its diluted form)."

After my post, I found out that the low splash bleach has a bunch of detergent mixed in it and is only about 2% bleach as opposed to regular bleaches 6% hypochlorite.

After no needing paper towels for 4 months, I as surprised that paper towels are running $1 a roll.

And you don't save any buying the larger number of rolls.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade.

In fact it starts to degrade as soon as its made.

Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less effective as
each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio (i.e. 10 percent
bleach) is potent for about a day

Thats wrong too.

(it's more unstable in its diluted form)."

Everything you buy is in a diluted form.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 13:51:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

sci.chem is still very active.

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less
effective as each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio
(i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable
in its diluted form)."

So I shouldn't have high hopes for the bleach I bought 20 years ago?
At 10% a year for 20 years, it should be -100% effective, so it will
make the clothes darker, maybe dirtier.

After my post, I found out that the low splash bleach has a bunch of detergent mixed in it and is only about 2% bleach as opposed to regular bleaches 6% hypochlorite.

After no needing paper towels for 4 months, I as surprised that paper towels are running $1 a roll.

What did they used to be?

And you don't save any buying the larger number of rolls.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought a gallon of low splash bleach about a year ago.

It was very viscous then.

Now it is very watery and the bleach smell is almost gone.

Does that version attract water over time?

Andy

sci.chem is still very active.

Bleach does weaken over time.

"Bleach can expire. After a shelf life of six months, bleach starts to
degrade. Even in its original bottle, bleach becomes 20 percent less
effective as each year goes by. Bleach mixed with water at a 1:9 ratio
(i.e. 10 percent bleach) is potent for about a day (it's more unstable
in its diluted form)."

So I shouldn't have high hopes for the bleach I bought 20 years ago?
At 10% a year for 20 years, it should be -100% effective, so it will
make the clothes darker, maybe dirtier.

Someone doesn't know how percentages work.

I know you were trying to be funny, but math illiteracy isn't really
that funny.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen submitted this idea :

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Of course at ten percent per, it would remain somewhat effective
forever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

That reminds me of a joke.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/2ijugj/a_mathematician_and_an_engineer_agree_to_a/

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Given that the number of molecules in a container is finite,
that would be just short of forever.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen was thinking very hard :

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Interesting, how long would it take to get to the last few effective
molecules which can't be decimated? Would they remain effective? If so,
how long?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Nope, they all break down eventually, its that unstable.

If so, how long?

Varys with the temperature etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 07:03:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

Above a poster claims bleach looses 20% each year.
If there is one molecule of bleach left it should be gone
after 5 years.

My guess is that other factors may come into play.
The bleach is probably protected by the liquid that surrounds
it. So, the last few molecules to go might go a bit more slowly.
Still, forever is plenty long to overcome minor issues like that.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2020 3:43 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

If you start with 100 and reduce that by 20% every year.
Year 1, 80
Year 2, 64
Year 3, 51.2
Year 4, 40.96
Year 5, 32.77

Pretty weak but still plenty to screw up your clothes if you spill it.

Frozen Pipes; Heat Tape vs Low Energy, Low Flow, Adjustable Low Temp Redytemp [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 6th 07 05:25 PM
Back splash Tile GoHabsGo Home Repair 1 December 6th 05 06:27 PM
caulking a splash guard counter thing.... scale Home Repair 6 November 12th 05 10:02 PM
Toilet splash block Marc Wolfe Home Repair 0 March 13th 05 03:52 PM
tiling a back splash Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 09:26 PM