Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Squirrel resistent Screen

I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem: Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous owners of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement: (4 options)
1.) Aluminum Screen 2.) Standard Fiberglass screen, 3.) Extra Strength Fiberglass screen. 4.) Extra-Heavy 'Pet Friendly' Fiberglass screen.

Anyone have experience w/'Pet Friendly' fiberglass screen (Found it at Home Depot) ?

Anyone have any ideas how to detour the squirrels ?

Anyone ever had this problem before ?

Thank you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2020 11:01 AM, wrote:
I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem: Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous owners of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement: (4 options)
1.) Aluminum Screen 2.) Standard Fiberglass screen, 3.) Extra Strength Fiberglass screen. 4.) Extra-Heavy 'Pet Friendly' Fiberglass screen.

Anyone have experience w/'Pet Friendly' fiberglass screen (Found it at Home Depot) ?

Anyone have any ideas how to detour the squirrels ?

Anyone ever had this problem before ?

Thank you.

Fortunately never had the problem, they never came close to the screen.
There are commercial repellents as well as home made recipes with
cayenne pepper and garlic. I'd see how a repellent works and then
replace the screen.

A couple found on Google:
White pepper and cayenne smells frequently discourage squirrels, for
example. If you sprinkle your plants with flakes of cayenne pepper, it
might keep unwelcome pests out of your garden. Squirrels also dislike
garlic and black pepper smells. Raccoons share this aversion to the
smell of pepper.

Apple cider vinegar can be used as an effective squirrel repellent
because the creatures can't stand the strong, pungent smell and
unpleasant taste of the vinegar. You can safely spray undiluted apple
cider vinegar on hard surfaces such as plant pots, decking, and fencing.

At a minimum, I'd spray the screen itself with the cider vinegar and put
something a few feet out from it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 11:01:54 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem: Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous owners of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement: (4 options)
1.) Aluminum Screen

Aluminum screen on door.

Short section of aluminum screening on floor outside door.

220 V line, one wire to each piece.

Careful. Neighbor of mine killed his best coonhound this way. Well, it was a garbage can rather than a screen, but same principle.

If you didn't want to kill them, maybe a fence charger would train them not to touch it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem: Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous owners
of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement: (4 options)
1.) Aluminum Screen 2.) Standard Fiberglass screen, 3.) Extra
Strength Fiberglass screen. 4.) Extra-Heavy 'Pet Friendly' Fiberglass
screen.

Anyone have experience w/'Pet Friendly' fiberglass screen (Found it at
Home Depot) ?

Anyone have any ideas how to detour the squirrels ?

Shot gun.

Anyone ever had this problem before ?

Nope, no one has.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 14 May 2020 04:18:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 May 2020 11:34:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/13/2020 11:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

I keep the beggars out of my shed with an altrasonic repeller.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2020 11:34 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/13/2020 11:01 AM, wrote:
I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem:Â* Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous
owners of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement:Â* (4 options)
1.)Â* Aluminum ScreenÂ*Â* 2.) Standard Fiberglass screen,Â* 3.)Â* Extra
Strength Fiberglass screen.Â* 4.)Â* Extra-Heavy 'Pet Friendly'
Fiberglass screen.

Anyone have experience w/'Pet Friendly' fiberglass screen (Found it at
Home Depot)Â* ?

Anyone have any ideas how to detour the squirrels ?

Anyone ever had this problem before ?

Thank you.

Fortunately never had the problem, they never came close to the screen.
There are commercial repellents as well as home made recipes with
cayenne pepper and garlic.Â* I'd see how a repellent works and then
replace the screen.

A couple found on Google:
White pepper and cayenne smells frequently discourage squirrels, for
example. If you sprinkle your plants with flakes of cayenne pepper, it
might keep unwelcome pests out of your garden. Squirrels also dislike
garlic and black pepper smells. Raccoons share this aversion to the
smell of pepper.

Apple cider vinegar can be used as an effective squirrel repellent
because the creatures can't stand the strong, pungent smell and
unpleasant taste of the vinegar. You can safely spray undiluted apple
cider vinegar on hard surfaces such as plant pots, decking, and fencing.

At a minimum, I'd spray the screen itself with the cider vinegar and put
something a few feet out from it.

I put hot pepper flakes in the birdseed in the bird feeder but it would
not deter the squirrels.

I suspect the OP's problem is with one squirrel as that does not appear
to be normal behavior.

I would put out my Hav-a-hart trap and take him to the park where he
would be welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 May 2020 23:51:13 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2020 20:54:16 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2020 16:38:16 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2020 08:01:46 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a sliding glass door the opens to a patio w/sliding screen door.

Problem: Screen is tore up from squirrels climbing the screen.
No idea why they want to climb it. Suspicion is that the previous owners of the home fed the squirrels ?

Replacement: (4 options)
1.) Aluminum Screen 2.) Standard Fiberglass screen, 3.) Extra Strength Fiberglass screen. 4.) Extra-Heavy 'Pet Friendly' Fiberglass screen.

Anyone have experience w/'Pet Friendly' fiberglass screen (Found it at Home Depot) ?

Anyone have any ideas how to detour the squirrels ?

Anyone ever had this problem before ?

Thank you.

Be careful with any squirrel talk here in AHR. There are people here who
might say when food comes right up to your door, the last thing you do is
try to chase it away. Door to dinner plate is a short trip for some.

Me, not so much.

I am fattening up my squirrels for the apocalypse. I have a gopher
turtle farm going back there and the Chokoloskee chickens are grazing
in my front yard. I usually have a few manatee around here too

A country boy will survive.

Don't let the gators and snakes get your food.

Gator tail is good eating too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My neighbor's Chihuahua got a squirrel this past week. It was almost as big as he was - he was SO proud!

Yes, killed it.

If a Chihuahua can do it a Jack should be able to - but catching them is the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2020 12:24:41 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

My neighbor's Chihuahua got a squirrel this past week. It was almost as big as he was - he was SO proud!

Yes, killed it.

If a Chihuahua can do it a Jack should be able to - but catching them is the problem.

Squirrels are pretty good about not being caught on the ground. If
they are used to people and pets that don't threaten them they can get
pretty bold but as soon as the predators start hurting the core
population, they will stay in the trees ... or up on your screen cage.
The ones here will run around on top of the screen cage and make my
dog nuts. The Jack across the street had the same issue. It seems like
they know they are making the dog crazy and they enjoy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor's Chihuahua got a squirrel this past week. It was almost as big as he was - he was SO proud!

Yes, killed it.

If a Chihuahua can do it a Jack should be able to - but catching them is the problem.

Didn't seem to be too much of a problem for my brother's dog 'till he
got old. The short legs didn't slow him down and he cornered like he
was on rails.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 15 May 2020 12:24:41 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

My neighbor's Chihuahua got a squirrel this past week. It was almost as big as he was - he was SO proud!

How do you know when a Chihuahua is proud?

He brags to his girlfriends.