Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drilling glass tile

I am trying drill some holes in glass tile to allow the screws from a GFI receptical cover to seat properly. Purchased a 1/4" ceramic and glass bit and drilled a test hole in an extra tile. All went well.
Left it on the workbench and returned 1/2 hour later to find the corner had cracked off.
What went wrong ? Why would it do that ?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

No vibration, and the bench was where I drilled it. No lube or any cooling, do I need one for a 1/4" hole ? Didnt appear to b fragile or hot immediately after drilling. All material was a fine dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What about a stream of air to keep it cool ?
No kids.
Outside corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What about a stream of air to keep it cool ?

No. Air is a poor thermal conductor. That drill bit is hot. Try touching it
after a few seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I attempt to drill in the kitchen, the tile will b vertical. How will I keep it wet w/o creating a mess ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I break a tile, how hard is it to get it out of the grouted tiles w/o breaking any more.
And if u do replace it, will it look the same ?
(Unnoticeable? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kinda leaning forward the glue option,
I guess I would cut the screws off at the head and then glue them in place ? Then use dbl faced tape or the glue u mentioned and stick the plate to the wall ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The screws that hold the wall plate on a gfi or decora style switch are located outside of the normal box that the receptical fits in. I now have an interference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:43:33 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

When I attempt to drill in the kitchen, the tile will b vertical. How will I keep it wet w/o creating a mess ?

Hold a wet sponge over/against the drill bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder wrote:

It's a coolant AND a lubricant.

And a floor wax and desset topping!
Posted to alt.home.repair

The wall plates are stainless, should I glue or
try to solder the screw-heads in place on the wall plates ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking about epoxy or glue for the screwheads and then some double faced tape to hold the plate in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Apr 2020 14:50:10 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I was thinking about epoxy or glue for the screwheads and then some double faced tape to hold the plate in place.

I used to have a roll of carpet tape, but I can't find it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking about epoxy or glue for the screwheads and then some double faced tape to hold the plate in place.

I used to have a roll of carpet tape, but I can't find it.

It's sort of thick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sid wrote:

I was thinking about epoxy or glue for the screwheads and then some double faced tape to hold the plate in place.

I used to have a roll of carpet tape, but I can't find it.

It's sort of thick.

I took the screws that I have and cut them down to almost 1/8", then used spacers to set the height of the dog-ears on the receptacle just above the tile.
The process took a lot of work, but the first one turned out looking and working well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Eli.