Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt blocking door.

Hello. The side door into my garage will not open fully as the asphalt floor
has lifted and is blocking the swing open. What can i do to shave off enough
to open the door fully? Thanks, Tom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1213736-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2020 11:14 PM, Tom Mcilravey wrote:
Hello. The side door into my garage will not open fully as the asphalt
floor
has lifted and is blocking the swing open. What can i do to shave off
enough
to open the door fully? Thanks, Tom.
You don't want to sand or make dust with asphalt tiles. The dust is what

gets in your lungs and causes cancer and other problems. Not sure what
you have but the typical 9 x 9 tiles are pretty inert and don't move.
Did something under them move? Can that be repaired?

May be easier and safer to trim the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 23:47:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/3/2020 11:14 PM, Tom Mcilravey wrote:
Hello. The side door into my garage will not open fully as the asphalt
floor
has lifted and is blocking the swing open. What can i do to shave off
enough
to open the door fully? Thanks, Tom.
You don't want to sand or make dust with asphalt tiles. The dust is what

gets in your lungs and causes cancer and other problems. Not sure what
you have but the typical 9 x 9 tiles are pretty inert and don't move.
Did something under them move? Can that be repaired?

May be easier and safer to trim the door.

I suspect he means an ASPHALT floor - as in asphalt cement paving
material. It is likely heaved due to moisture and frost and with luck
it will settle whenthe weather gets warm. With such a bodged up system
maybe he should just take his chainsaw and cut the bottom of the door
off. To fo iut right he would pull the hing pins, remove the door, and
cut odd what is required with a circular saw. Sounds like too much to
take off easily with a box plane or rasp.