Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocking gap beneath upvc door

I've got an external upvc door in the kitchen that's got a 1cm gap
underneath it.

The old flooring was wood laminate, but this was replaced with vinyl
some time ago, which has resulten in a gap.

Photos:
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P1010761.jpg
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P1010758.jpg

There's a draft coming in through this gap, and I'll probably get mice
coming in soon, so I want to block it up properly. Currently I've got
a bit of wood that blocks most of it, but that's just a temporary
bodge.

What's the proper way to seal below a upvc door? Do I need to take the
frame out, or can it be done in place (I'm hoping for the latter of
course).

If the frame needs to come out, is there a short term solution that
will last the winter that's better than my bodge with a bit of wood?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2011 15:24, Caecilius wrote:
I've got an external upvc door in the kitchen that's got a 1cm gap
underneath it.

The old flooring was wood laminate, but this was replaced with vinyl
some time ago, which has resulten in a gap.

Photos:
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P1010761.jpg
http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/...r/P1010758.jpg

There's a draft coming in through this gap, and I'll probably get mice
coming in soon, so I want to block it up properly. Currently I've got
a bit of wood that blocks most of it, but that's just a temporary
bodge.

What's the proper way to seal below a upvc door? Do I need to take the
frame out, or can it be done in place (I'm hoping for the latter of
course).

I'd be tempted to use the uPVC board sold for roofline work. Soffit or
Fascia capping board to fill in the gap. Thinnest is about 10mm.

If the frame needs to come out, is there a short term solution that
will last the winter that's better than my bodge with a bit of wood?

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a
dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2011 15:49, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a
dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

I would be tempted to fill the gap with cement or similar and cover with
pvcu trim. E.g.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/bin/venda?ex...ordsearch=upvc

Posted using thunderbird. Hopefully the link will work without messing
about!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a
dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

there is a frame sealant especially for exterior pvc use

I would just get a piece of upvc trim such as one of the products here

http://www.pvc-warehouse.co.uk/index...b9db9c30c9d474

and stick it on with the sealant

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

[...]

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a
dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

there is a frame sealant especially for exterior pvc use

I would just get a piece of upvc trim such as one of the products here

http://www.pvc-warehouse.co.uk/index...b9db9c30c9d474

and stick it on with the sealant

Regards

expanding foam could also be used but I am not personally a fan of it as I
always seem to put too much in and then spend agess tidying it up

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:06:30 PM UTC, TMC wrote:
"TMC" wrote in message

[...]

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather than a
dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window frame!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

there is a frame sealant especially for exterior pvc use

I would just get a piece of upvc trim such as one of the products here

http://www.pvc-warehouse.co.uk/index...b9db9c30c9d474

and stick it on with the sealant

Regards

expanding foam could also be used but I am not personally a fan of it as I
always seem to put too much in and then spend agess tidying it up

The cans are horrid - its worth getting a proper gun and low expansion foam. The low ex stuff can be hard to get, so you can use the plasterboard fixing foam instead (which is better mechanically).
But probably not work getting a gun for one tiny job.
Foaming round windows with high ex foam and a can is, well, hilarious.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:56:28 +0000, Hugh - Was Invisible
wrote:
I would be tempted to fill the gap with cement or similar and cover with
pvcu trim.

Thanks for the link. That looks like just the sort of thing I need to
cover the face of the gap once I've filled the gap itself with
something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:56:28 +0000, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

From the first picture I thought it was a misfitting door rather

than
a dirty great gap between the floor and the base of the window

frame!

And with the title as well...

I would be tempted to fill the gap with cement or similar and cover with
pvcu trim. E.g.

Agreed what ever goes into that gap needs to be good in compression.
One shouldn't tread on a threshold but people do and being plastic
frame it doesn't have much strength, it needs to be properly
supported.

As there is a draft that imples a hole through to the outside, before
sealing up the inside make sure the outside is water tight. Check
that there is something underneath the frame on the outside,
installers seem to "forget" that bit quite often.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:24:39 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
As there is a draft that imples a hole through to the outside, before
sealing up the inside make sure the outside is water tight. Check
that there is something underneath the frame on the outside,
installers seem to "forget" that bit quite often.

Yes, the gap goes all the way through to the outside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
As there is a draft that imples a hole through to the outside, before
sealing up the inside make sure the outside is water tight. Check
that there is something underneath the frame on the outside,
installers seem to "forget" that bit quite often.

Yes, the gap goes all the way through to the outside.

I had that problem when we bought this house, it has three outward opening
UPVC doors and all of them had gaps under them. I solved the problem with
these.
http://www.exitex.com/weatherbars/Pa...rtRef=1.01.450.
They have been in 7 years now and are fine.

Mike

UPVC door Garry UK diy 0 December 18th 10 09:52 AM
Sticking an alarm door contact magnet to a UPVC door ARWadworth UK diy 8 May 18th 08 05:12 PM
door chain upvc door gort UK diy 5 December 24th 06 02:01 PM
Blocking up a double door sized doorway LongYP UK diy 5 December 16th 06 06:07 PM
Door Handle Replacement for uPVC Door John McLean UK diy 3 July 19th 06 01:07 PM