Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extension Cord & Battery Backup-UPS

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2020 9:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Ive done that with my 550VA UPS for years without any problem whatever.
The battery lasted almost 9 years before replacement even though I had
set the sensitivity to "high". And, the OEM battery replacement is
doing just fine as well after more than 1 year. Your mileage may vary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2020 9:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Mine says UPS 450 and I have it plugged into a surge protector strip.
Several years ago on a clear day down the road the high tension line
shorted to the low tension and blew out every surge protector in my
house. I was on the computer at the time and suffered no ill effects
with it but the surge protector was blown.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wade Garrett wrote:

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Wade-

To be sure, you could plug the UPS directly into the remote outlet. Use
the extension cords on its output side.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:13:01 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

I think they don't want a surge suppressor because the UPS probably has
one built in that is better quality than in a power strip, and it's
counter to one's goal for a some other surge protector to be
interrupting what's intended to be uninterruptible.

OTOH, the warning against extension cords is probalby one step from
silly. I have had extension cords that barely squeeze the plugs that go
in them, and that separate when even slightly pulled, but your two cords
don't come apart, there's nothing wrong with extension cords.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd rather lose the surge protection of a $10 surge protector than that
of a $50 APC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Is the UPS cord removeable? or is it a crappy APC?On my Powerware I
just got a 10 foot business machine cord (awg16). You can use an
extention cord if you have to - I like the heavy (#14) air conditioner
extention cords - and fasten the cords together with a couple loops of
zip-tie so the cords can't separate. Do NOT plug it into a surge
protector (or a multi-outlet cord)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/27/20 8:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Play it safe and use a dedicated 14 gauge extension cord such as one
designed for an air conditioner. You will not have a problem and you can
sleep at night not having to worry if you did the right thing.

If the outlet on the power strip would start to melt, the circuit
breaker on it would not offer any protection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You have a point, but otoh if the surge protector of the strip will work
in the first place, then after the surge protector of the UPS blows, you
can bypass it and use the one in the strip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extension Cord & Battery Backup-UPS- RESOLVED

On 3/27/20 9:13 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

Thanks for the input and great suggestions. I've made the problems go
away though.

Slick talker that I am, I convinced my wife we needed to move the
computer desk to where I had originally wanted it, rather than where her
"decorator's eye" determined it needed to be living these past many years.

Oh, look- a 20 amp double-duplex outlet right there...

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett wrote:

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

The configuration to avoid is having a surge protector downstream
(plugged into the output) of a UPS. The stepped sine wave that most UPS
units produce when running on battery will look to many surge protectors
like voltage spikes that need to be grounded, resulting in excess
battery drain on the UPS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/28/20 3:35 PM, Neill Massello wrote:
Wade Garrett wrote:

About to install a new 550VA battery backup-Uninterruptible Power
Source. The owner's manual says to plug it directly into the wall
outlet, not to an extension cord or power strip/surge protector.

My computer desk is not near a wall outlet and I've always plugged my
UPS into a good quality power strip/surge protector that has a four foot
16/3 gauge cord.

The new UPS has a six foot 16/3 wire as well- so I'm wondering if it's
OK to keep the same setup. I've never had any problems with it before.

The configuration to avoid is having a surge protector downstream
(plugged into the output) of a UPS. The stepped sine wave that most UPS
units produce when running on battery will look to many surge protectors
like voltage spikes that need to be grounded, resulting in excess
battery drain on the UPS.

Not using battery when on AC.

Still though, I would not use an inexpensive plastic power strip for any
device drawing a lot of current.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Mar 2020 08:29:21 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Because they are the ones who want to make life better for people, and
the other side is willing to have people live by the law of the jungle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?

Because they are the ones who want to make life better for people, and
the other side is willing to have people live by the law of the jungle.

What other law is there?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

If you live out in the country or in the inner city, maybe an hour or
so away.
When the police get there to write up their report, I want to be
telling them my side of the story, not laying there outlined in chalk.