Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cholorquine phosphate

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 06:47:26 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 24/03/2020 06:37, micky wrote:
BBC says couple in American south used cholorquine phosphate, normally
used to clean aquarium tanks, to treat themselves for corona. One dead,
one seriously ill. It didnt' say if they had symptoms or not.

A bit more he

A Man Died After Self-Medicating With A Drug *Trump* Promoted As A
Potential Treatment For The Coronavirus

The elderly man died after taking chloroquine phosphate, an additive
used to clean fish tanks. Trump has been promoting chloroquine as a
potential treatment for the coronavirus, but health officials say it
hasn't been tested properly.

According to the Banner Health hospital system in Phoenix, the couple,
both in their sixties, ingested chloroquine phosphate, "an additive
commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks." One aquarium supply
store online described it as a "wonder drug" that was once only
available through veterinarians — for sal****er fish, not humans. The
site is currently sold out of the drug.

Thirty minutes after taking the chloroquine phosphate, the couple
experienced serious, immediate effects that required them to go to the
hospital.

Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director of the Banner Poison and Drug
Information Center, said that the aquarium additive that the couple
ingested has the same active ingredients as the anti-malaria drug.
However, the formula activated differently than the prescription, Alexis
Kramer-Ainza, spokesperson for Banner Health, told BuzzFeed News, making
them seriously ill.

Kramer-Ainza confirmed that the couple took the additive because they
most likely read about chloroquine online and in recent news reports.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...te-coronavirus

Chloroquine Phosphate - formerly sold as Aralen or Aralen Phosphate
as a antimalarial and malarial prophylactic is exactly the stuff used
for aquariums to kill amoeba and parasites in fish.
As a prophylactic (preventative) for Malaria the dose was 500Mg every
7 days - on exactly the same day and preferably the same time. Don't
drive or operate equipment afterwards. Preference was just before
going to bed - but don't count on getting much sleep. It is not
particularly effective against majorstrains - many of which have
become resistant.

As a cure it is 500Mg,then another 500MG 8 hours later. Count on
spending that 8 hours and the next 8 to 12 in bed. Another 500Mg 24
hours later, and then another 500 24 hours after that. Don't count on
doing anything during those 56 hours or for another 12 after that.

This treatment gets the Malaria parasites out of the blood, but if
they have gotten into organs such as the liver you need something more
powerfull.

Taking a double dose accidentally at any of those times CAN KILL YOU.
If it doesn't kill you then you can die of liver failure down the
road. It is NASTY STUFF. Malaria is nasty too. It can kill you. The
Chloroquine can make you wish you could die.
Ringing and buzzing in the ears - difficulty hearing - and sometimes
deafness - sometimes permanent, as well as blurred and otherwize
compromized vision - and sometimes permanent retina damage - are not
uncommon results - which is why other antimalarials are now more
prevalent. Some of them have side-effects that are not much nicer -
paranoia being one.

The reason it is still used in some 3rd world countries is it is
CHEAP!!!!! Back in the seventies I remember it being about $0.25 a
dose, while the "good stuff" was $5 or $10. My recollection may be
off, but the ratio will be close.

For example, a course of Aralen today is $28, Arakoda is $577. Coartem
comes in at $132, Malarone at $66 and Primaquine at $24. according to
GoodRx.com pricing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...te-coronavirus
Chloroquine Phosphate - formerly sold as Aralen or Aralen Phosphate
as a antimalarial and malarial prophylactic is exactly the stuff used
for aquariums to kill amoeba and parasites in fish.
As a prophylactic (preventative) for Malaria the dose was 500Mg every
7 days - on exactly the same day and preferably the same time. Don't
drive or operate equipment afterwards. Preference was just before
going to bed - but don't count on getting much sleep. It is not
particularly effective against majorstrains - many of which have
become resistant.

Sounds as if this man was doing about the same as subistuting the rat
posion containing Warfarin for the blood thiner or the same name.

I doubt he even had any idea how much of a dose to take.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 24 Mar 2020 16:52:09 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

Oh! I didn't know it was the same. I took a presciption bottle of that
with me when I went to Panama in 1971. I was sure they still had
malaria there, no matter what they said.

But they didn't. Coming from Costa Rica it looked like Indiana, with
kids playing baseball.

I got a ride at the Costa Rican border with a US Army guy from Puerto
Rico who almost had his 20 years in and was going to retire soon, and he
he'd been stationed lots of places but had never been to the United
States. Isn't that a hoot?

He drove me all the way to the Canal Zone to a hotel or YMCA or
something and they wouldn't let me stay there because I didn't have a
visa for the Canal Zone. Huh? I'm an American citizen. It turns out I
couldn't even get a visa unless I was invited by someone who lived
there. Without one, I coudn't stay overnight.

That took 5 or 10 minutes and then he took me to a hotel in my price
range in Panama City. They let me in.

[...]

Very intersting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2020 02:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Ringing and buzzing in the ears - difficulty hearing - and sometimes
deafness - sometimes permanent, as well as blurred and otherwize
compromized vision - and sometimes permanent retina damage - are not
uncommon results - which is why other antimalarials are now more
prevalent. Some of them have side-effects that are not much nicer -
paranoia being one.

Hydroxychloroquinine isn't a whole lot friendlier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 21:36:12 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/24/2020 02:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Ringing and buzzing in the ears - difficulty hearing - and sometimes
deafness - sometimes permanent, as well as blurred and otherwize
compromized vision - and sometimes permanent retina damage - are not
uncommon results - which is why other antimalarials are now more
prevalent. Some of them have side-effects that are not much nicer -
paranoia being one.

Hydroxychloroquinine isn't a whole lot friendlier.

The pre-oxidized (to grossly oversimplify it) chloroqine
(hydroxychloroquine) is slightly less toxic to the retina than
standard chloroquine, Chloroquine phosphate is a phosphorous salt of
chloroqine.Chloroquine comes in tablet form as the phosphate, sulfate,
and hydrochloride salts. Chloroquine is usually dispensed as the
phosphate

Chloroquine was discovered in 1934, by Hans Andersag and coworkers at
the Bayer laboratories, who named it "Resochin". It was ignored for a
decade, because it was considered too toxic for human use.