mm

Default Red Devil TSP vs. Tri-Sodium-Phosphate

I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got
home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.

They both had warnings about eyes and skin.

Which cleans better?

Especially, the soot on my walls from when my oil furnace wasn't
working well.

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
John McGaw

mm wrote:
I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got
home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.

They both had warnings about eyes and skin.

Which cleans better?

Especially, the soot on my walls from when my oil furnace wasn't
working well.

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

No idea which cleans better -- I always used TSP and it always seemed to
clean quite well. But your post got me wondering how close the Red Devil
people are coming to false advertising when then call their cleaning
product TSP anything. If their claim of no phosphates is true then it
can't really be TSP. Some quick research shows that the product is
actually sodium metasilicate but how that relates to tri-sodium
phosphate is beyond me unless the fact that they both contain sodium
means more in the world of advertising than it does in chemistry. But it
really does have no phosphates FWIW.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Rudy

I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got
home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.
Which cleans better?

I ve always stuck to the real stuff. I use it to soak my hot tub filters
and to get grease out of jeans

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

The fake stuff is "kinder" to the environment..no phosphates

mm

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 03:14:35 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got
home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.
Which cleans better?

I ve always stuck to the real stuff. I use it to soak my hot tub filters
and to get grease out of jeans

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

The fake stuff is "kinder" to the environment..no phosphates

Thanks to all.

Well, I use this stuff so little (so far not at all ) and the real
tsp is not banned, that maybe I should stick with the strong stuff so
I get done before I get tired out.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
mm

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 20:47:37 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

mm wrote:
I bought some Red Devil TSP/90 Heavy Duty Cleaner, and when I got
home, I noticed it contained no phosphates.

Later I saw Tri-Sodium-Phosphate itself for sale.

They both had warnings about eyes and skin.

Which cleans better?

Especially, the soot on my walls from when my oil furnace wasn't
working well.

Are there other reasons for using one or the other?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

No idea which cleans better -- I always used TSP and it always seemed to
clean quite well. But your post got me wondering how close the Red Devil
people are coming to false advertising when then call their cleaning
product TSP anything. If their claim of no phosphates is true then it

I agree with you. TSP *mean* Tri-Sodium-Phosphate, just like TNT
means Tri-Nitro-Toluene. At least when we're talking about a cleaner
or an explosive.

If we were talking about singers maybe they would mean The Singing
Peonies or The Nervous Trio.

can't really be TSP. Some quick research shows that the product is
actually sodium metasilicate but how that relates to tri-sodium
phosphate is beyond me unless the fact that they both contain sodium
means more in the world of advertising than it does in chemistry. But it
really does have no phosphates FWIW.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

WTB: Sodium Exterior Light (nice looking) vortex2 UK diy 7 September 22nd 05 01:28 AM
Sodium Filled Valve Stems. Why? Artemia Salina Metalworking 24 March 11th 05 04:16 PM
Trisodium Phosphate to clean walls ? DXer Home Repair 3 October 27th 04 11:39 AM
Red Devil Poly paint? Greg Woodworking 4 September 6th 04 03:15 PM
Sodium Lighting Tony UK diy 2 July 5th 03 02:25 PM