Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home buying no gutters

We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1212678-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2020 12:44 PM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

So? If you like the house and the price, you put the gutters you want
on it.

Do you even need gutters? Some houses in the right places do fine
without them, other places need them.

I don't see it as a deal breaker, just factor in the cost of gutters and
see if you still like it. Same with carpet or tile you don't like. All
those things happen in every house sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Basement below ground equals gutters. No basement equals no gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack
% % is offline

On 2020-03-24 11:23 a.m., Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 3/24/2020 9:44 AM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

If you gave the homeowner a blowjob, would that change his mind?

and he can use your mouth to give it
Posted to alt.home.repair

Can you Col, beat peeler for the most hated on usenet? I bet peeler trumps you bar far.
Jealous?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2020 12:44 PM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

As others have stated, it's not a major ordeal. You have two options,
don't buy because of the gutters, or lack thereof, or purchase if the
price is right when factoring in new gutters, which, BTW, are cheap to
install.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2020 2:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
Basement below ground equals gutters. No basement equals no gutters.

True. Not always needed. I have one that would just dump water in
driveway where it would run off. It's not really needed. I also just
put gutter guard in my low hanging gutters. Otherwise with no guards
gutters might need cleaning twice a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2020-03-24 11:51 a.m., Frank wrote:
On 3/24/2020 2:00 PM, Thomas wrote:
Basement below ground equals gutters. No basement equals no gutters.

True.Â* Not always needed.Â* I have one that would just dump water in
driveway where it would run off.Â* It's not really needed.Â* I also just
put gutter guard in my low hanging gutters.Â* Otherwise with no guards
gutters might need cleaning twice a year.

i run the gutter water right into my indoor water tank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:08:51 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article irect.com,
m says...

We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

What is the problem ? For a small percentage of the price, just buy the
home and put up your own gutters.

It always amazes me that on a $ 100,000 or more deal people worry about
little things that can be rectified for less than $ 1000.

My favorite is when I'm selling a house and buyers tell my realtor that
they really like the house, but they don't like the color in one of the
rooms. Then they leave without making an offer. If I'm selling a house,
I'll negotiate on the gosh darned paint. Paint is one of the easiest things
to change.

I bought a house about 10 years ago and it needed many small things like
the dishwasher was making a lot of noise. The roof looked like it would
need replacing in a few years. The popcorn on the garage cealing was
starting to come off. I took all that into concideration and made an
offer without saying anything on a $ 170,000 house.

Bought the house and had all the repairs made for about $ 6,000 that
included a total remodel on the bathroom.

Exactly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/20 12:44 PM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

Average cost for gutter installation on medium-sized house is under $1,000.

If you want gutters, reduce whatever you planned to offer the seller by
that amount, then call Gary the Gutter Guy ;-)

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 16:44:02 +0000, MissTea67
m wrote:

We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

Estimate the cost of gutters and delete that from the price you
offer. Guters are pretty cheap. About $2.10 a foot plus installation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2020 12:44 PM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

Make sure that all contact surfaces between the exterior walls and the
slab are not damaged due to chronic excessive moisture. If there's a
basement, the foundation may not be in good condition unless excellent
grading has existed all around the perimeter of the structure. Also,
termites tend to prefer moist ground so a competent termite inspection
should be done prior to proceeding with the purchase. If in doubt, the
cost of hiring a professional real estate inspector may be a good
investment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 09:09:24 -0400, Peter
wrote:

On 3/24/2020 12:44 PM, MissTea67 wrote:
We are looking at a home in Georgia. The home has no gutters & the
seller will
not replace. This is a cause of concern.

Make sure that all contact surfaces between the exterior walls and the
slab are not damaged due to chronic excessive moisture. If there's a
basement, the foundation may not be in good condition unless excellent
grading has existed all around the perimeter of the structure. Also,
termites tend to prefer moist ground so a competent termite inspection
should be done prior to proceeding with the purchase. If in doubt, the
cost of hiring a professional real estate inspector may be a good
investment.

It is pretty common in the south not to have gutters. It really
depends on how long the overhang is and how well the ground drains. If
you get down far enough south we don't have basements to worry about
in the first place.
A rain gutter full of leaves is far worse than any gutter at all, no
matter where you live and in a heavy rain, those screens shuttle most
of the water over the side anyway. People are just not willing to go
out in the rain to look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And your absence of basements magnifies your risk of injury/death when
tornadoes come unless you're fortunate enough to have a storm cellar. I
lived for two years in "tornado alley" where the ground was hard red
clay. My house was a typical modest rancher on a slab in a modest
income development. None of the houses had storm cellars. I spent many
anxious minutes in an interior bathroom tub with a mattress pulled over
me whenever the sirens sounded. Much more anxiety provoking than the
few times I had to mop up basement seepage from my clogged gutters in my
other places in the northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That varies depending on where you live. Florida gets quite a few
tornadoes, usually not as severe as other places. If I was to dig a
hole to hide in I would also need a diving bell to use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Florida definition of a basement? An indoor swimming pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A basement in Florida is called an inside swimming pool. You can dig a
well here with a post hole digger.
FEMA does have plans for above ground safe rooms that will survive an
F4 but I have never heard of anyone building one. The reality is the
cyclones we get here are usually not much more powerful than the eye
wall of a hurricane. They are usually small, skip and go things. Not
the monster that eats half of Oklahoma.
We do build to the 150 MPH wind code here and it is 160 a couple miles
west of me. A little dust devil doesn't really scare us that badly.