Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating on outside of walls of house

Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other options. On
fixed income.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1209190-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2020 4:44 PM, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the
bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

Hay bales will burn and can house insects and rodents. I'd use
something permanent like this but have no idea of the cost
https://www.insofast.com/insulation-...ial-walls.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 21, 2020 at 4:44:06 PM UTC-5, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other options. On
fixed income.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1209190-.htm

What's the issue with the straw bales? If it works and it's not a problem because of how it looks, why change?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/20 3:44 PM, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the
bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

I take it heat tape for water pipes isn't an option.

There's this type of stuff.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corning-FOAMULAR-250-2-in-x-48-in-x-8-ft-R-10-Scored-Squared-Edge-Insulation-Sheathing-52DD/202085962
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2020 4:44 PM, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other options. On
fixed income.

Sounds like you have a crack or two that is letting cold outdoor air blow into the wall cavity where the pipes are.

Either seal the cracks or move the pipes out of the wall cavity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Agnes" Been using bales of straw on outside of house to
protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each
fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to
find other options. On
fixed income.

Around here we just 'bank the house' with
snow. With enough snow we can live in
an igloo. ;)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22/2/20 8:44 am, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the
bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

Find someone who is dismantling an old coolroom. The wall panels of
those make for excellent insulation.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 21 Feb 2020 21:44:02 +0000, Agnes
m wrote:

Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other options. On
fixed income.

The pipes are in the outside wall, I presume. Do they go to a bathroom
you could do without during the coldest part of the winter?

Is it possible to cut holes in the wall and blow insulation in.

My friend had a brand new townhouse, in Virginia near Dulles Airport
where it's not even that cold, and the first winter, a pipe froze and
burst. When they opened the wall, the insulation had been put between
the pipes and the inside, instead of the outside.

Maybe you have no insulation at all. There is almost always a firestop
3 to 4 feet from the floor so there are separate compartments above and
below it. Need to insulate both. Plus the second floor, and not sure
how to do the space next to the 1st floor ceiling, 2nd floor floor. ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other options. On
fixed income.

Light the bales - it will keep the pipes warmer that way ---
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:58:42 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/21/2020 4:44 PM, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack the
bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

Hay bales will burn and can house insects and rodents. I'd use
something permanent like this but have no idea of the cost
https://www.insofast.com/insulation-...ial-walls.html

Lots of houses re-insulated by adding 2 inch rigid foam insulation to
the outside and new siding over top. Usually involves removing old
siding first, but not always.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/20 8:03 PM, Xeno wrote:
On 22/2/20 8:44 am, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack
the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

Find someone who is dismantling an old coolroom. The wall panels of
those make for excellent insulation.

How good is the insulation in refrigerators or home freezers? What
happens to those when they're junk?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 05:32:17 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 2/21/20 8:03 PM, Xeno wrote:
On 22/2/20 8:44 am, Agnes wrote:
Been using bales of straw on outside of house to protect pipes inside of
house. What other outside insulation could I use? Each fall I stack
the bales
against the outside walls of bathroom but would like to find other
options. On
fixed income.

Find someone who is dismantling an old coolroom. The wall panels of
those make for excellent insulation.

How good is the insulation in refrigerators or home freezers? What
happens to those when they're junk?

On the old ones it's just an inch or two of glass wool. On the newer
ones it's foam. Perhaps they could salvage some from the redneck lawn
ornaments - but it would need to be protected somehow.