Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulating A/C copper line outside

Hi All,

The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line from the
compressor to the house, has deteriorated from the sun and weather. Would
like to replace it. It's about 2'.

Is there a special requirement for this insulation, or can a hot water line
insulation be used? This is the stuff commonly found at HD or similar. It
does not look quite the same, as what's on there already.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line from the
compressor to the house, has deteriorated from the sun and weather. Would
like to replace it. It's about 2'.

Is there a special requirement for this insulation, or can a hot water line
insulation be used? This is the stuff commonly found at HD or similar. It
does not look quite the same, as what's on there already.

It'll work, just won't hold up as well to weather. You can get the
denser stuff at HVAC or plumbing supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RichK writes:

Is there a special requirement for this insulation, or can a hot water
line insulation be used? This is the stuff commonly found at HD or
similar.

Polyurethane foam (like kids' pool noodles) won't hold up to UV exposure.

The black rubber foam is good for 10-20 years outdoors. At Home Depot, at
least around here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RichK" wrote in message
The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line from the
compressor to the house, has deteriorated from the sun and weather. Would
like to replace it. It's about 2'.

Is there a special requirement for this insulation, or can a hot water
line
insulation be used? This is the stuff commonly found at HD or similar.
It
does not look quite the same, as what's on there already.

I'm glad you asked, because I've got the same situation myself. I'll just
piggyback off the answers given to you

Posted to alt.home.repair

The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line from
the compressor to the house, has deteriorated

Not that it matters in the slightest but the larger cold line is actually
the suction from house to compressor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message

The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line from
the compressor to the house, has deteriorated

Not that it matters in the slightest but the larger cold line is actually
the suction from house to compressor.

Yes. I'm not sure that exposing a couple of feet of suction line will
affect the efficiency so much, but it's normally insulated. Perhaps to keep
it protected from the elements and reduce oxidation.

I can see that inside the house, the reason to insulate may be mostly to
avoid dripping all over the place. Any heat absorbed by that line (inside
the house) just adds to cooling and does not lower efficiency.

Regards,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair

The large line runs from the house to the compressor.

Heat going into the large line doesn't "add to the cooling", it
actually detracts from it. Yes, heat going into the large line
does reduce the efficiency.

You've got a bit to learn. The outdoor foam is designed to be
used outdoors. Indoor pipe wrap isn't the same. That to learn,
also.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RichK" wrote in message
:
: Yes. I'm not sure that exposing a couple of feet of suction
line will
: affect the efficiency so much, but it's normally insulated.
Perhaps to keep
: it protected from the elements and reduce oxidation.
:
: I can see that inside the house, the reason to insulate may be
mostly to
: avoid dripping all over the place. Any heat absorbed by that
line (inside
: the house) just adds to cooling and does not lower efficiency.
:
: Regards,
:
: RichK
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's special stuff, designed to be sunlight resistant. How about
call a HVAC service company to do a clean and check, and put some
foam on?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"RichK" wrote in message
: Hi All,
:
: The foam rubber insulation on the bigger (cold one) copper line
from the
: compressor to the house, has deteriorated from the sun and
weather. Would
: like to replace it. It's about 2'.
:
: Is there a special requirement for this insulation, or can a
hot water line
: insulation be used? This is the stuff commonly found at HD or
similar. It
: does not look quite the same, as what's on there already.
:
: Regards,
:
: RichK
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Heat going into the large line doesn't "add to the cooling", it
actually detracts from it. Yes, heat going into the large line
does reduce the efficiency.

Beg to differ, even if I'm asking a silly quiestion about the foam. Any
heat "going into the pipe" _from inside the house_, is extracted from the
house. In that way, it adds to cooling. It may be cooling your basement
and the living room, which is not what you want. But it's not a total
waste.

Agree that heat going into the same pipe on the outside, reduces efficiency.
Even if it's a fraction of a perent.

You've got a bit to learn.

I'm sure I do. We all do :-)

Regards,