Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with 12V and 5V lines on a PC ATX supply

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0ga34crfwdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:23:35 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/02/2020 03:53, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/19/20 10:46 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do (cheap? expensive ones may be better) PC ATX power supplies
need
current drawn from the 5V line to make the 12V line work correctly?

I have a PC with 3 graphics cards running scientific applications. I
acquired three old graphics cards that take about 300W each, and have
loads of cheap (CIT) PSUs that are rated at 650W on the 12V line,
which
is what those cards use. So I run each card off its own supply. But
the 12V line at no load, or even at 300W, is only giving out 10 to
10.5V. If I attach a small dummy load of an amp or so to the 5V line,
the 12V line suddenly becomes 12V.

Why are the two lines related in any way?

Sorry for the crosspost, I'm not sure which of these groups are
active.

There's a group sci.electronics.design that still has life.
They
might like the diversion from arguing the merits of the electoral
college.

The scottish ****** loaded the same question to all the electronic
groups
at the same time. Playing off one set of groups against the other.

He's not scottish, just another sassenach ******/parasite who will
get the bums rush quick smart if they ever get their independence.

I was born here,

But are still an sassenach,

and voted independance.

And will still get the bums rush if they ever get independence.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:26:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two abnormal sociopathic trolls' latest troll****

--
TYPICAL retarded "conversation" between sociopath Rodent and sociopath
Birdbrain from August 26th 2018:

Birdbrain: "I have one head but 5 fingers."

Senile Rodent: "Obvious lie. You hairy legged cross dressers are so inbred
that you all have two heads."

Birdbrain: "You're the one that likes hairy legs remember?"

Senile Rodent: "The problem isnt the hairy legs, it's the gross inbreeding
that
produces two headed unemployables like you."

Birdbrain: "So why did you mention hairy legs?"

Senile Rodent: "Because that's what those who arent actually stupid enough
to shave their legs have."

Birdbrain: "You only have hairy legs if both of the following are true:
1) You're quite far back on the evolutionary scale.
2) You haven't learned what a razor is for."

Senile Rodent: "Only a terminal ****wit or a woman shaves their legs."

Birdbrain: "There is literally zero point in having hair all over your
body."

Senile Rodent: "There is even less point in wasting your time changing what
you are born with."

MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2020 22:16, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 08:41:51 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

Playing off?* WTF are you talking about?* Since I don't inhabit those
groups, I don't know which have any traffic or anyone who can answer,
hence I asked in all the relevant ones.

You are asking all the same ****ing questions as you have done here -
and amazingly getting all the same answers. But still you persist.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:49:02 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

Of course I'm asking the same questions in different groups, to perhaps find someone who has the intelligence to answer them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0gc9rsm4wdg98l@glass...
[...]

We all did, you are too stupid to understand the answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:10:32 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two prize idiots' endless idiotic drivel unread again

cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent Speed, the auto-contradicting senile
sociopath, blabbered, again:

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/2020 02:12, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

Did you get your "Does a parrot's foot conduct electricity?" post
answered on the s.e.design group?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I understand alright - that designers are morons.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 11:57:57 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

[...]

I can't see any evidence in my newsreader that I asked in there, did I say I was going to? I only see it in s.e.basics.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0geoszfmwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

I understand alright

Like hell you do.

- that designers are morons.

Yeah,, yeah, some drunken drug crazed letterbox stuffer
knows a lot more about everything than any designer does.

Yeah, right.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 07:57:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

....and nothing's left!

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 00:35:41 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:09:30 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 19/02/2020 17:04, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 17:01:52 -0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

On 19/02/2020 16:46, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do (cheap? expensive ones may be better) PC ATX power supplies need
current drawn from the 5V line to make the 12V line work correctly?

I have a PC with 3 graphics cards running scientific applications. I
acquired three old graphics cards that take about 300W each, and have
loads of cheap (CIT) PSUs that are rated at 650W on the 12V line, which
is what those cards use. So I run each card off its own supply. But
the 12V line at no load, or even at 300W, is only giving out 10 to
10.5V. If I attach a small dummy load of an amp or so to the 5V line,
the 12V line suddenly becomes 12V.

Why are the two lines related in any way?

Sorry for the crosspost, I'm not sure which of these groups are active.

On el cheapo SMPS the primary supply is the 5V whose feedback controls
the conversion transformer. The 12V supply is derived from the same
transformer so if the 5V is not breaking into a sweat not enough current
is available in the transformer secondary to get the 12volts up to
regulation.

Ok, I do have a degree in electronics, but it was a very long time ago.
Can you go into more detail?

You already know the answer, put a load on the 5 volt line and all will
be well.

Or buy a single power supply that can handle the full load. They DO
exist, but they ain't cheap!!

I just found a 1kW one from China for under £40. The people over in the electronics groups seem to think they're fine. And since my policy is to always run a PSU at 50% load for extra reliability, longevity, and voltage stability, it should work. If not I'll be getting my money back and a free supply that will work for something else.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You only add the n if the next word begins with a vowel.

And I am not Scottish in any sense of the word.

and voted independance.

And will still get the bums rush if they ever get independence.

Nope, they love foreigners, which is why they're letting in all the immigrunts.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0ginezg5wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

That why you will get the bums rush if they ever get independence.

and voted independance.

And will still get the bums rush if they ever get independence.

Nope,

Yep,

they love foreigners,

Not you sassenachs.

which is why they're letting in all the immigrunts.

They don't have any choice on that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 11:43 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER TEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:43:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

11:43??? LOL So you've been up and trolling ALL NIGHT and ALL MORNING (since
01:33), yet AGAIN!!! Don't you even DARE to claim that you are NOT
clinically insane, you trolling sociopathic senile arsehole from Arsetralia!
LOL

cretin from Oz: