Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Problems with 12V and 5V lines on a PC ATX supply

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 22:26:51 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0ga34crfwdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:23:35 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Andy Bennet" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/02/2020 03:53, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/19/20 10:46 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why do (cheap? expensive ones may be better) PC ATX power supplies
need
current drawn from the 5V line to make the 12V line work correctly?

I have a PC with 3 graphics cards running scientific applications. I
acquired three old graphics cards that take about 300W each, and have
loads of cheap (CIT) PSUs that are rated at 650W on the 12V line,
which
is what those cards use. So I run each card off its own supply. But
the 12V line at no load, or even at 300W, is only giving out 10 to
10.5V. If I attach a small dummy load of an amp or so to the 5V line,
the 12V line suddenly becomes 12V.

Why are the two lines related in any way?

Sorry for the crosspost, I'm not sure which of these groups are
active.

There's a group sci.electronics.design that still has life.
They
might like the diversion from arguing the merits of the electoral
college.

The scottish ****** loaded the same question to all the electronic
groups
at the same time. Playing off one set of groups against the other.

He's not scottish, just another sassenach ******/parasite who will
get the bums rush quick smart if they ever get their independence.

I was born here,

But are still an sassenach,

You only add the n if the next word begins with a vowel.

And I am not Scottish in any sense of the word.

and voted independance.

And will still get the bums rush if they ever get independence.

Nope, they love foreigners, which is why they're letting in all the immigrunts.