Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automated_airport_weather_station

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring. A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.
Wow, how things have changed in the last 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2020 8:07 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Â*Â* Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring.Â*Â* A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.

While HDD may be useful, it certainly isn't enough to be able to
determine this on its own...

Â* Wow,Â* how things have changed in the last 50 years.

Indeed, just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Â*Â*Â* Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring.Â*Â* A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.

While HDD may be useful, it certainly isn't enough to be able to
determine this on its own...

Â*Â* Wow,Â* how things have changed in the last 50 years.

Indeed, just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak...

I remember my dad grabbing 10 corn ears out of the field in
random spots. He'd throw them in the cattle tank and count the
floaters. That gave him an idea when to
get the corn picker going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Â*Â* Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring.Â*Â* A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.

While HDD may be useful, it certainly isn't enough to be able to
determine this on its own...

I use models based on it to try to time pre-emergent crabgrass application
on my lawn. I always wind up with some though. Always in the first 6
feet or so by the street. Which leads me to believe maybe I should be
putting it down earlier, or in two applications, that maybe it gets
warmer there earlier. On the other hand, one time I tried measuring the
soil temp and it was the same there as in the upper part of the lawn,
so IDK. Probably should try putting down a second application 6 weeks
or so later, but I never bother. I just use some Acclaim to whack whatever
does emerge. Thankfully that's available now from Bayer, you can buy
it at Lowes. It's the only thing that really works and it works really
well on crabgrass.

Â* Wow,Â* how things have changed in the last 50 years.

Indeed, just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring. A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.
Wow, how things have changed in the last 50 years.

It's amazing.

I used one of those when I put in a new oil boiler in my last house.
Using degree days I could get an accurate use of fuel oil for each year.

I put in a System 2000 from Energy Kinetics and it paid for itself in
just under 7 years saving up to 38%.