Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Automated_airport_weather_station

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 9:21:53 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 2/15/2020 8:07 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/15/20 6:00 AM, micky wrote:

I thought this would interest you all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...eather_station

Â*Â* Versions of these things are available for farmers to use for crop
monitoring.Â*Â* A farmer can use his smart phone to
check things and run his irrigation system accordingly.
They can use heating degree days to tell them when the crops are ready
for harvest.

While HDD may be useful, it certainly isn't enough to be able to
determine this on its own...

I use models based on it to try to time pre-emergent crabgrass application
on my lawn. I always wind up with some though. Always in the first 6
feet or so by the street. Which leads me to believe maybe I should be
putting it down earlier, or in two applications, that maybe it gets
warmer there earlier. On the other hand, one time I tried measuring the
soil temp and it was the same there as in the upper part of the lawn,
so IDK. Probably should try putting down a second application 6 weeks
or so later, but I never bother. I just use some Acclaim to whack whatever
does emerge. Thankfully that's available now from Bayer, you can buy
it at Lowes. It's the only thing that really works and it works really
well on crabgrass.

Â* Wow,Â* how things have changed in the last 50 years.

Indeed, just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak...