Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotted door

The inside of a exterior wooden patio door is rotted. How can I repair other
than wood putty, perhaps flat aluminum strips ? Anyone have any ideas?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1208021-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 6:44:06 PM UTC-5, Tommy L Murray wrote:
The inside of a exterior wooden patio door is rotted. How can I repair other
than wood putty, perhaps flat aluminum strips ? Anyone have any ideas?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1208021-.htm

Assuming it's repairable, what's wrong with exterior latex based wood filler?
Works for me. You could also use auto body filler. It's advantages are
that it will harden very quickly, even when it's 40F, you can put it in
deep all at once instead of in layers and it's more durable. If you use
that, I would sand as soon as it's hard, like in ~20 mins. It's still
not at full hardness and easier.

The other question is why it rotted? Anything trapping water? Excessive
rain getting to it for lack of a gutter? I had a steel door at a condo
that rusted out. It was being hit by a lawn sprinkler that kept it
wet many nights.