Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Reverses 1 From Ground

Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/19 9:48 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

If you disconnect the opener and raise and lower the door manually, do
you notice any binding at 1 foot level?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:48:27 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

Sure seems like an obstruction ...
Perhaps the obstruction isn't at the bottom edge of the door opening -
but is happening further up on the track ?
or something snagging near the top of the door ?
I have rough storage over the garage door and on both sides
of the door - and I can see how it could happen to me.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 9:48:33 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

Have you looked for a leaf or similar hanging from the bottom of the door?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 09:48:27 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote:

Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

My Genie (screw drive) was doing that about a year after I had it installed.
About 7 years ago. The installer came out and replaced the circuit board.
Said it was a known failure, and he had plenty seen plenty of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/19 12:14 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

This one has been in service for many, many years-- at least 15, maybe
more...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Got an older model Genie screw drive garage door opener (IS, ISL, IC
series) that started reversing the lowering door when its bottom edge
reached about a foot from the ground yesterday. It happened when
activated by either the remote transmitter or the wall switch

I know that if the object-sensor safety electric eye is obstructed, the
door reverses immediately after it starts down-- but I can't figure out
what would cause it to reverse at the one-foot level.

The opener has worked fine for years. The stop-activation levers for
raising and lowering haven't moved and are in the correct place, I
haven't touched the closing force or other adjustment screws on the
motor head, and the tracks and rollers appear OK too.

Ideas?

Something stuck to the door interrupting the safety beam?? About the
right height - - - -