Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotting bad section of roof, how to replace??

I have a nearly flat carport with also has a flat roof. Toward the one
end, earlier in the summer, I started to notice what appeared to be
rotting sections. See photo link below. There is a gutter on the other
side. For about a foot, the section of the board the gutter is attached
to (fascia) is rotted too, so the rotting includes about a foot of the
fascia as well as one 1x4 board that the roof covers. If it was just
the fascia that was the issue, I'd cut out the bad section and replace
with pressure treated, but part of the 1x4 supporting the roof is bad
too so not sure how to repair that which is why I have posted here. Can
I repair this without replacing the entire carport roof? Thank you in
advance.

Here's the image:

https://i.imgur.com/wQPFjPj.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:08:20 AM UTC-4, Larz wrote:
I have a nearly flat carport with also has a flat roof. Toward the one
end, earlier in the summer, I started to notice what appeared to be
rotting sections. See photo link below. There is a gutter on the other
side. For about a foot, the section of the board the gutter is attached
to (fascia) is rotted too, so the rotting includes about a foot of the
fascia as well as one 1x4 board that the roof covers. If it was just
the fascia that was the issue, I'd cut out the bad section and replace
with pressure treated, but part of the 1x4 supporting the roof is bad
too so not sure how to repair that which is why I have posted here. Can
I repair this without replacing the entire carport roof? Thank you in
advance.

Here's the image:

https://i.imgur.com/wQPFjPj.jpg

It looks like it's the fascia and framing at the edge of the roof that's
rotted. You can replace that without doing the whole roof. Depending on
if that disturbs the roof surface near the edge, you might have to repair
the surface with some roof coating. Remaining issue is why did this happen?
Usually it's water getting were it's not supposed to go, ie instead of going
into the gutter, it's winding up going between the gutter and fascia, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/19 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Quite right, it was water going between the gutter and fascia. When I
redid the gutters some years back, I neglected installing several
sections properly with the intention of going back and repairing.
Forgot about it. With the remainder of the house, I lucked out because,
at the time, I had replaced the fascia with all pressure treated wood,
so once I did the repairs on those early this summer, nothing had
rotted. Did not luck out on the standard wood carport, however.

So, how would I go about replacement of the 1x4 that holds the roofing?
Might I be able to jigsaw it out of there after first determining what
depth of cut I would need? Then, install a new board in place with
angle brackets attached to the nearest rafters?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:44:36 AM UTC-4, Larz wrote:
[...]

Is it even nailed into from above? You say it's only 1" thick, then a 1"
fascia I thought? Typical here I think is 2x8 or whatever, doubled,
then fascia over that. Looks like you could just start knocking it
outward and down, remove a whole length.

Might I be able to jigsaw it out of there after first determining what
depth of cut I would need? Then, install a new board in place with
angle brackets attached to the nearest rafters?

I guess you could mend it with sturdy brackets if that one piece runs
a long way and the rest of it is OK. But how you're going to cut it with the
roof hanging over, IDK. I did some of this here recently, I swapped
out the whole framing piece.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/19 11:08 AM, Larz wrote:
I have a nearly flat carport with also has a flat roof.Â*Â* Toward the one end, earlier in the summer, I started to notice what appeared to be rotting sections.Â* See photo link below.Â* There is a gutter on the other side.Â* For about a foot, the section of
the board the gutter is attached to (fascia) is rotted too, so the rotting includes about a foot of the fascia as well as one 1x4 board that the roof covers.Â* If it was just the fascia that was the issue, I'd cut out the bad section and replace with
pressure treated, but part of the 1x4 supporting the roof is bad too so not sure how to repair that which is why I have posted here.Â* Can I repair this without replacing the entire carport roof?Â* Thank you in advance.

Here's the image:

Â*https://i.imgur.com/wQPFjPj.jpg

Paint it, take pictures from a good distance, insure it and then knock it over in the next windstorm. Get where I'm going with this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/10/2019 1:10 PM, Jack Legg wrote:
On 9/10/19 11:08 AM, Larz wrote:
I have a nearly flat carport with also has a flat roof.Â*Â* Toward the
one end, earlier in the summer, I started to notice what appeared to
be rotting sections.Â* See photo link below.Â* There is a gutter on the
other side.Â* For about a foot, the section of the board the gutter is
attached to (fascia) is rotted too, so the rotting includes about a
foot of the fascia as well as one 1x4 board that the roof covers.Â* If
it was just the fascia that was the issue, I'd cut out the bad section
and replace with pressure treated, but part of the 1x4 supporting the
roof is bad too so not sure how to repair that which is why I have
posted here.Â* Can I repair this without replacing the entire carport
roof?Â* Thank you in advance.

Here's the image:

Â*Â*https://i.imgur.com/wQPFjPj.jpg

Paint it, take pictures from a good distance, insure it and then knock
it over in the next windstorm.Â* Get where I'm going with this?

Reminds me of the patching I did on my old deck. Probably replaced
every board over the years. Now happy that I replaced the whole thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nice, Jack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 11:44:31 -0400, Larz
wrote:

[...]

cut the board in the middle of the rafter so you can set the board on
top of the joist - the same as it would be done when the carport was
built. You will need to strip back the old roofing and rebuiuld it -
might be a good idea to replace it all - and put a "drip molding" of
metal on the edge to direct the water into the gutter and keep it off
the woos sheathing AND fascia board.