Posted to alt.home.repair
Larz Larz is offline

Default rotting bad section of roof, how to replace??

On 9/10/19 11:27 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:08:20 AM UTC-4, Larz wrote:
I have a nearly flat carport with also has a flat roof. Toward the one
end, earlier in the summer, I started to notice what appeared to be
rotting sections. See photo link below. There is a gutter on the other
side. For about a foot, the section of the board the gutter is attached
to (fascia) is rotted too, so the rotting includes about a foot of the
fascia as well as one 1x4 board that the roof covers. If it was just
the fascia that was the issue, I'd cut out the bad section and replace
with pressure treated, but part of the 1x4 supporting the roof is bad
too so not sure how to repair that which is why I have posted here. Can
I repair this without replacing the entire carport roof? Thank you in
advance.

Here's the image:

https://i.imgur.com/wQPFjPj.jpg

It looks like it's the fascia and framing at the edge of the roof that's
rotted. You can replace that without doing the whole roof. Depending on
if that disturbs the roof surface near the edge, you might have to repair
the surface with some roof coating. Remaining issue is why did this happen?
Usually it's water getting were it's not supposed to go, ie instead of going
into the gutter, it's winding up going between the gutter and fascia, etc.

Quite right, it was water going between the gutter and fascia. When I
redid the gutters some years back, I neglected installing several
sections properly with the intention of going back and repairing.
Forgot about it. With the remainder of the house, I lucked out because,
at the time, I had replaced the fascia with all pressure treated wood,
so once I did the repairs on those early this summer, nothing had
rotted. Did not luck out on the standard wood carport, however.

So, how would I go about replacement of the 1x4 that holds the roofing?
Might I be able to jigsaw it out of there after first determining what
depth of cut I would need? Then, install a new board in place with
angle brackets attached to the nearest rafters?