Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Receiver troubles - no sound is output

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.

It did before.

The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.

https://imgur.com/JAOleCD

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2019 8:54 AM, A K wrote:
I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.

It did before.

The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.

https://imgur.com/JAOleCD

Any ideas what to try?

Output power transistor or caps are good bets...electrolytics are
generally first to go...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 06:54:21 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.

It did before.

The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.

https://imgur.com/JAOleCD

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks,
Andy

The only real chance of fixing this is if it is a bad output selector
switch. That is not unusual tho. I imagine you are going to find the
entire audio output section is an IC on a big heat sink that you can't
find anywhere.
I had one of these on my desk at work (Pioneer) that I just hard wired
to the FM tuner because that switch was bad. It went out with the
trash when they took the office apart after I retired. There is
another one in the shop (Sony) with a bad switch that is probably
going in the trash the next time I purge stuff I am never going to
fix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That one's new enough that's quite probably the case...

I have an ancient ca. 1969 Kenwood that is solid state but still
individual transistors. The power transistors are still available;
replaced them about 5 year ago now; finding the large electrolytics was
a challenge...a couple I ended up not replacing (or actually went back
to the originals as the new failed very quickly when I just swapped out
all on general principles of being 40 years old...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.
It did before.
The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.
https://imgur.com/JAOleCD
Any ideas what to try?
Thanks,
Andy

... you've probably tried all of these ..
Have you tried all speaker jacks - front & rear ?
Headphones jack working ?
Any re-set buttons on the speakers ?
Partially stuck A/B speaker button ?

Any practical jokers in the house ?

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.
It did before.
The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.
https://imgur.com/JAOleCD
Any ideas what to try?
Thanks,
Andy

... you've probably tried all of these ..
Have you tried all speaker jacks - front & rear ?
Headphones jack working ?
Any re-set buttons on the speakers ?
Partially stuck A/B speaker button ?

Any practical jokers in the house ?

John T.

Only practical joker is me, but I do not think I did anything. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Jul 2019 06:54:21 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I can not get my receiver to output sound to the speakers.

It did before.

The tuner does not work, or the DVD, etc.

https://imgur.com/JAOleCD

Any ideas what to try?

Thanks,
Andy

Speaker fuses? Either with access covers in the back or after you take
the cover off.

Speaker selection switch. I have a very expensive table radio, the
only one outside of the car that gets WAMU and C-Span radio well**, both
about 40 miles from here. It's about 34 years old and has a button to
switch from stereo to monaural, or something like that, and for the last
4 years, it I touch the button, it might lose sound. It's getting worse
and when it's messed up, about twice a year, I have to touch it just
right to get it to work again. Eventually I'll open it up and bypass
solder the switch in one position.

Also the on/off button is touchy. If I don't touch it right, it
responsds twice, off then on again, or vice versa. I normally want
the sleep switch anyhow and if that gets touched twice it goes from 60
minutes to 59 left.

**In the office I use the computer for those stations and in the kitchen
I watch TV.