Howie

Default leaking water from shower

I installed our neo-angle shower in our downstairs basement, exactly as the
instructions said. Where told to put sealant, I did so. After a couple of
years, the shower leaks in two places and it is rotting the drywall. (see
these photos):

http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...ownstairs1.jpg,
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...ownstairs2.jpg).

Should I coat the joins of the shower with sealant even though the
instruction said not to? Is water supposed to drain back from some of these
joins?

Also, in our upstairs bathroom, the tub surround leaks as well. I replaced
the old silicone with a product recommended by a Home Depot "expert"
(LOL)... The product was a piece of sh** (I think it was a type of MONO
sealant. It now leaks as bad as ever (see pictures):

http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb.../upstairs1.jpg),
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb.../upstairs1.jpg

I'm just asking what others would do. I have some ideas, but I'm just
looking for a little input before I proceed. I have left this too long and
now I have to fix it. Tips? comments? advice? suggestions?

Howie

Yep

Well first you shouldn't have caulk on the outside of the shower it
should only be caulked from the inside and the reason is if you do
have a leak you can see it and fix it before it goes behind the wall
and do the extensive damage it has done to your walls. I had one of
these showers in my last house I had a heck of a time finding the leak
as the water runs out over here but the leak was over there. It ended
up being the bottom of the wall panel that came down and met the pan.
I scraped out the old redid it and it never leaked for me again.

Rich

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

Howie

"Yep" wrote in message
Well first you shouldn't have caulk on the outside of the shower

I haven't caulked on the outside of either the downstairs shower nor the
upstairs tub surround. The downstairs shower has a rubber liner strip that
presses up against the drywall.

it
should only be caulked from the inside and the reason is if you do
have a leak you can see it and fix it before it goes behind the wall
and do the extensive damage it has done to your walls. I had one of
these showers in my last house I had a heck of a time finding the leak
as the water runs out over here but the leak was over there. It ended
up being the bottom of the wall panel that came down and met the pan.
I scraped out the old redid it and it never leaked for me again.

Rich

should I caulk the entire interior of the shower so no water can find a way
into the wall?

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

MLD

"Howie" wrote in message
[...]

I have a Sterling (aka Kohler) neo angle shower. The glass walls are calked
to the side panels both on the inside and outside as well as along the
bottom against the base. The walls of the shower (two pieces) are not
calked including the joint where the two side pieces meet. I called
Sterling and specifically asked about calking this joint as I could get at
it from the back (open wall, just studs, at the time). the answer was an
emphatic NO. Apparently the way the wall panels fit on the base there is a
means for any leakage to drain back into the shower and calking would direct
water leakage in other, less desirable directions. Hate to say this, but you
might be faced with removing the glass wall in order to determine just where
the leak is coming from.
MLD