Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does propane go bad

I was talking to a person the other day and he said that someone filling
his propane tank for his grill told him that the propane in the tanks
could turn in to a jelly substance over a long period of time True or
not ? From what I got out of it, it does not hirt anything,but you just
cannot put as much in the tank when refilling it.

I just ordered a dual fuel 3500 watt dual fuel generator as my power
almost never goes out. The last time it was only for about 3 hours. I
do have a gasoline generator of the 5 KW size, but no more than I use
it, it is a pain to fill it with gas, run for 2 hours and then not need
it for a year. So have to drain all the gas and such. Did not drain it
a couple of times and had to clean out the carborator before it would
start.

I am thinking the propane generator will be able to run for an hour or
three, then just cut off the fuel and will not have to do anything else
but change the oil every so often and check the plug.
It will be ready to go the next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/19 12:08 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

I see a lot of propane fueled irrigation power units out in the
fields.
These tanks are thousand gallon units and there is always some left over.
Those engines will sit idle for at least four months over the winter. They
still run the following spring.
I've never heard of any complaints related to the fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2019 1:08 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

Propane should last as long as the container it is in. The grill tanks
expire after 12 years and cannot be refilled, but they should last much
longer.

It will not vaporize if the temperature drops to -45f or below.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2019 2:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/4/2019 1:08 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I was talking to a person the other day and he said that someone filling
his propane tank for his grill told him that the propane in the tanks
could turn in to a jelly substance over a long period of timeÂ* True or
not ?Â* From what I got out of it, it does not hirt anything,but you just
cannot put as much in the tank when refilling it.

I just ordered a dual fuel 3500 watt dual fuel generator as my power
almost never goes out.Â* The last time it was only for about 3 hours.Â* I
do have a gasoline generator of the 5 KW size, but no more than I use
it, it is a pain to fill it with gas, run for 2 hours and then not need
it for a year.Â* So have to drain all the gas and such.Â* Did not drain it
a couple of times and had to clean out the carborator before it would
start.

I am thinking the propane generator will be able to run for an hour or
three, then just cut off the fuel and will not have to do anything else
but change the oil every so often and check the plug.
It will be ready to go the next time.

Propane should last as long as the container it is in.Â* The grill tanks
expire after 12 years and cannot be refilled, but they should last much
longer.

It will not vaporize if the temperature drops to -45f or below.

It is not like a tank of gasoline with a head space of air which causes
oxidation and degradation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/19 1:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

The ones out in the fields sit there for years. They're not
being bounced
around though and the few people around them know what's what.
http://www.joe-ks.com/2010/cell-phone-for-seniors
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote

I was talking to a person the other day and he said that someone
filling his propane tank for his grill told him that the propane in the
tanks could turn in to a jelly substance over a long period of time
True or not ?

Didn't happen to me. I got a much bigger tank than I needed
for camping and started doing that in the late 60s so I still had
about half full when I stopped camping so much in the very
early 70s. It was still fine when I got it filled again in 2016.

From what I got out of it, it does not hirt anything,but
you just cannot put as much in the tank when refilling it.

I knew that didn't happen to mine because the tare weight didn't change.

And I used to be a chemist and know of no reason
why propane should turn into a jelly over time.

I just ordered a dual fuel 3500 watt dual fuel generator as my power
almost never goes out. The last time it was only for about 3 hours.
I do have a gasoline generator of the 5 KW size, but no more than
I use it, it is a pain to fill it with gas, run for 2 hours and then not
need
it for a year. So have to drain all the gas and such. Did not drain it a
couple of times and had to clean out the carborator before it would start.

I am thinking the propane generator will be able to run for an
hour or three, then just cut off the fuel and will not have to do
anything else but change the oil every so often and check the
plug. It will be ready to go the next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 4 Jul 2019 13:08:18 -0400, Ralph Mowery

There is no such thing as bad propane, but there is propane that does
bad things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 06:59:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine is well out of date now

Are we talking about your brain, senile asshole?

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 06:54:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I was talking to a person the other day and he said that someone
filling his propane tank for his grill told him that the propane in the
tanks could turn in to a jelly substance over a long period of time
True or not ?

Didn't happen to me.

LOL In auto-contradicting mode again, senile auto-contradictor?

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2019 12:44 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I thought the tanks may have a lifetime. I know some other tanks like
the welding tanks do. Probably nothing wrong with the tanks, but good
old government regulations setting in. If I don't use the gas very much
, I can still use it but will have to get a new tank when it does go
empty.

They do have to be re-certified periodically. Many of the older tanks do
not have OPD valves so you're looking at the price of a new valve.

https://goneoutdoors.com/convert-tan...e-7978929.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 16:58:36 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 07/04/2019 12:44 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I thought the tanks may have a lifetime. I know some other tanks like
the welding tanks do. Probably nothing wrong with the tanks, but good
old government regulations setting in. If I don't use the gas very much
, I can still use it but will have to get a new tank when it does go
empty.

They do have to be re-certified periodically. Many of the older tanks do
not have OPD valves so you're looking at the price of a new valve.

https://goneoutdoors.com/convert-tan...e-7978929.html

The problem is it costs more to certify one than a new one costs and
replacing the valve really blows that number out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/04/2019 06:03 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 16:58:36 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 07/04/2019 12:44 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I thought the tanks may have a lifetime. I know some other tanks like
the welding tanks do. Probably nothing wrong with the tanks, but good
old government regulations setting in. If I don't use the gas very much
, I can still use it but will have to get a new tank when it does go
empty.

They do have to be re-certified periodically. Many of the older tanks do
not have OPD valves so you're looking at the price of a new valve.

https://goneoutdoors.com/convert-tan...e-7978929.html

The problem is it costs more to certify one than a new one costs and
replacing the valve really blows that number out.

That's my understanding. I know the valves are about half the price of a
new tank but I didn't know about the re-certification cost. The old
style ones I have are old enough to vote so I doubt they'd even pass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 20:10:21 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 07/04/2019 06:03 PM, wrote:
[...]

If you actually go to a place that does their due diligence (VIP and
hydrostatic testing) I bet it is $40-50. A speck of rust is a fail.
There may be people who just paint them and stamp a new number on them
tho.
The easy way to get a good tank is swap it at a Blue Rhino place with
uninformed employees. Walmart usually works. They even swapped a non
OPD for me recently that I found, sitting out with someone's trash.
The girl didn't even blink, she just asked if I would put the old one
in the bin and get a new one out so she wouldn't break a nail.
I bet those acrylics she had cost more than a brand new tank, filled.
Maybe more per hand.

I did pick a nice one. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The least you could do. I'll bet she was cute.

I bet those acrylics she had cost more than a brand new tank, filled.
Maybe more per hand.

I did pick a nice one. ;-)

I bought a tank at a junk yard once and went straight to iirc Walmart
and traded it and the propane money for a new tank with propane.