Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does propane go bad

On 7/4/2019 1:08 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I was talking to a person the other day and he said that someone filling
his propane tank for his grill told him that the propane in the tanks
could turn in to a jelly substance over a long period of time True or
not ? From what I got out of it, it does not hirt anything,but you just
cannot put as much in the tank when refilling it.

I just ordered a dual fuel 3500 watt dual fuel generator as my power
almost never goes out. The last time it was only for about 3 hours. I
do have a gasoline generator of the 5 KW size, but no more than I use
it, it is a pain to fill it with gas, run for 2 hours and then not need
it for a year. So have to drain all the gas and such. Did not drain it
a couple of times and had to clean out the carborator before it would
start.

I am thinking the propane generator will be able to run for an hour or
three, then just cut off the fuel and will not have to do anything else
but change the oil every so often and check the plug.
It will be ready to go the next time.

Propane should last as long as the container it is in. The grill tanks
expire after 12 years and cannot be refilled, but they should last much
longer.

It will not vaporize if the temperature drops to -45f or below.