Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ac Kenmore window

I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/2019 4:04 PM, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

Going back a good dozen years one of our customers was a large AC maker.
We made a couple of the internal parts for that venting system.
According to the engineers the reason the had the vent is because the
competition did and it was useless. In theory you can bring in some
fresh air or vent some of the room air but the opening was so small in
made no practical difference.

From my experience with room AC units over many years, I found no
difference in the setting either. Since you smoke, use the vent setting
but it won't make a bit of difference.

The company I'm talking about made at least 6 different bands of AC.
The difference between them was the front cover and the box. I've been
in their plant and once day they made brandX, the next day they made
brand y, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 1 Jun 2019 16:27:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 6/1/2019 4:04 PM, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

Maybe one runs the fan and the other doesn't?

Going back a good dozen years one of our customers was a large AC maker.
We made a couple of the internal parts for that venting system.
According to the engineers the reason the had the vent is because the
competition did and it was useless. In theory you can bring in some
fresh air or vent some of the room air but the opening was so small in
made no practical difference.

From my experience with room AC units over many years, I found no
difference in the setting either. Since you smoke, use the vent setting
but it won't make a bit of difference.

The company I'm talking about made at least 6 different bands of AC.
The difference between them was the front cover and the box. I've been
in their plant and once day they made brandX, the next day they made
brand y, etc.

I would buy the brandy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/1/19 4:04 PM, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

Maybe you could download the owners manual?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:

I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

Open all your windows on nice days for a while.
With window ac, always use "close" so it's all contained.
Always smoke outside, idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thank you Ed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:04:31 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

My guess would be:

Close - no interaction with outside air
Fresh - draws in some outside air
Vent - pushes out some inside air

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 06:43:41 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:04:31 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

My guess would be:

Close - no interaction with outside air
Fresh - draws in some outside air
Vent - pushes out some inside air

Yup, same as your car.
Closed is looping inside air through the evaporator with ther AC on
(fastest cool down)
Fresh is pulling air from outside through the evaporator with the AC
on (AC has to work harder to keep it cool but you are turning over
the air)
Vent is just that, fresh air is pulled in but the AC is off so there
is no cooling., It is just a fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 4:04:31 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
I have 3 choices on my window ac. Close/Fresh Air/Vent What are the differeces? I smoke and want to be cool but ...fill it in

My guess would be:

Close - no interaction with outside air
Fresh - draws in some outside air
Vent - pushes out some inside air

Yup, same as your car.
Closed is looping inside air through the evaporator with ther AC on
(fastest cool down)
Fresh is pulling air from outside through the evaporator with the AC
on (AC has to work harder to keep it cool but you are turning over
the air)
Vent is just that, fresh air is pulled in but the AC is off so there
is no cooling., It is just a fan.

That's actually different than what I posted, but I think you're probably right.
It's more likely it's just a flap that either draws in some outside air
or not together with cooling or no cooling when it's on vent. I don't
think it reverses the airflow, too complicated.