Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet seat screwdriver

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 15:35:57 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

Grind an old putty knife down so it fits. Realistically you should
just be holding that screw and running up the nut from the bottom
anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

A larger screwdriver?

You could carefully drill the head off, if it is really mangled. Just
enough into the bolt shaft so it comes out with the nut via the
bottom.

Can you get needle nosed vise grips on the head to hold it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-14 1:35 p.m., Tekkie® wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

buy a screwdriver that's wide enough
Posted to alt.home.repair

% wrote:

buy a screwdriver that's wide enough

Or use a dime...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

Dull 1' wood chisel makes a good wrong tool for the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

There is a very handy tool to do just this job. It looks like a
plastic pipe about 8" long with a rubber gripping sleeve and a series
of slots in the top and bottom to go over the wings of the nuts
underneath the bowl. Look on Amazon or just search for "Toilet bowl
seat bolt tightening" or similar wording. About $8. Strangely it seems
to be made by a company in the gardening or pool supply business.
Maybe the owner had the same problem and just put his machine shop to
good use.

"This Old House" also had the same problem and recommended cutting the
bolts. Bad idea given the likelihood of damaging the bowl.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

A larger screwdriver?

I do not have any larger ones, that was one of the reasons I stopped before
it got too chewed up.

You could carefully drill the head off, if it is really mangled. Just
enough into the bolt shaft so it comes out with the nut via the
bottom.

I am not at that point yet, thankfully.

Can you get needle nosed vise grips on the head to hold it.

That is an idea, especially if I back up the points on the the needle nose
with some kind of shims...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

Grind an old putty knife down so it fits. Realistically you should
just be holding that screw and running up the nut from the bottom
anyway.

I do not have a grinder anymore and if I did I am so incapable of performing
tasks correctly it would probably end up in my skull and destroy the few
brain cells I have left. 8-(

Is this a metal screw or a plastic one? Most toilet seat bolts seem to
be plastic for the last 30 years or more.