r.p.mcmurphy

Default Heavy Duty Toilet Seat?

hey up! have a very busy household and am getting through toilet seats
quiet regularly. they all seem to be quiet loose fitting and plasticy.
have spent 30 quid on supposedly heavy use ones, but even they come loose
eventually! anyone know where i can get heavy duty ones?

ta

Steve

Malcolm Race

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
hey up! have a very busy household and am getting through toilet seats
quiet regularly. they all seem to be quiet loose fitting and plasticy.
have spent 30 quid on supposedly heavy use ones, but even they come loose
eventually! anyone know where i can get heavy duty ones?

ta

Steve

If the problem is the plastic hinge housing breaking because the plastic
bolt has stretched and come loose, get an M4 coach bolt to use instead -
put a bath tap washer and a penny washer (in that order) between the
bowl and the nut to avoid cracking the bowl. You may have to file flats
on the head of the coach bolt to make it fit in the hinge. I used this
system on toilets in a charity shop (with heavyweight assistants)an it
lasted for 3 years before the hinge broke. It does rist solid quite
quicklt so the only way of removing the seat is to break the hinge!

Malcolm
The Natural Philosopher

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

hey up! have a very busy household and am getting through toilet seats
quiet regularly. they all seem to be quiet loose fitting and plasticy.
have spent 30 quid on supposedly heavy use ones, but even they come loose
eventually! anyone know where i can get heavy duty ones?

Sand cast iron ones in a local foundry.

That should see you right.

Don't let it fall down when you are kneeling in front of it though.

ta

Steve

The Natural Philosopher

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

they keep coming loose. suppose i cud try tread locking them and siliconing
them to the bowl to reduce possibility of movement.

Is this your bowels?

Steve

Terry

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
[...]

Per the above; instead of galv. or black metal coach bolts use stainless.
That's what we use for example to fasten our toilet to the floor because the
toilet pipe flange is damaged and they remain usable for years.

SmileyFace

On Sunday, January 09, 2005 4:07 PM [GMT+1=CET], you wrote:

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:
[getting through toilet seats
[they come loose eventually!]

If the problem is the plastic hinge housing breaking because the
plastic bolt has stretched and come loose, get an M4 coach bolt to
use instead - put a bath tap washer and a penny washer (in that
order) between the bowl and the nut to avoid cracking the bowl. You
may have to file flats on the head of the coach bolt to make it fit
in the hinge. I used this system on toilets in a charity shop (with
heavyweight assistants)an it lasted for 3 years before the hinge
broke. It does rist solid quite quicklt so the only way of removing
the seat is to break the hinge!

I can endorse this method - I had to fit a padded seat for my very ill
partner and though it was expensive and hard-to-get, it was flimsy and
the fittings were junk. They broke after a couple of weeks' use by
two skinny people. I could have demanded a refund but there wasn't
any other type available.

I used coachbolts, flats filed as above with an angle grinder, then
the plastic nuts from the original fittings locked on with metal nuts.
Instead of penny washers I used layers of that anti-slip stuff for
rugs, cut to size. I also glued anti-slip to the flat part of the
hinges where it met the bowl.

One reason it broke was because the seat tended to rotate on the
fixings. I sorted that by gluing more anti-slip material to the feet
of the seat (where it rests on the bowl). It's lasted two months so
far, sits solid and is better than new.

I don't need a padded seat any more.

But it'll stay there until it breaks. It should be readily removable;
all the modifications are to the seat itself.

HTH

Gill

Jase

Try....

http://www.pressalitgroup.com/index.html?language=eng

These people are a Danish company and are one of the biggest toilet
seat manufacturers in Europe. They have a UK office (see Dealer list on
website).
I do know that their seats are used by many 'heavy duty' installations
(eg motorway service stations, hospitals, etc.).
I have one at home and it is the 'Rolls-Royce' of toilet seats.
Cheers,
Jase