Posted to alt.home.repair

Default circular irrigation in a square farm field

When big circle watering of farm crops is used, does the plowing,
seeding, and fertilizing apply to the whole surrounding square, or only
to the circle as best they can.

Somone on the radio says that it's the square, but I've assumed that
farmers, especially those with GPS-equipped tractors, but also those
without (since cirular watering long preceded GPS), do as little excess
as the farmer's abiltity to see where the circle is while driving the
tractor, and as the width of the plow, seeder, fertilizer can make
happen.

If I can get a good answer here, I'll be happy, but if not, I'll stop
the car and check next time I'm near one of thes things.
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
news
When big circle watering of farm crops is used, does the plowing,
seeding, and fertilizing apply to the whole surrounding square, or only
to the circle as best they can.

Only to the circle as best they can and that's one of the reasons
that so many are now not bit circles, usually called lateral moves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irriga...ne,_wheelmove)[36][37]

Somone on the radio says that it's the square, but I've assumed that
farmers, especially those with GPS-equipped tractors, but also those
without (since cirular watering long preceded GPS), do as little excess
as the farmer's abiltity to see where the circle is while driving the
tractor,
and as the width of the plow, seeder, fertilizer can make happen.

Yeah, particularly with the planting and harvesting.

If I can get a good answer here, I'll be happy, but if not, I'll
stop the car and check next time I'm near one of thes things.

Not easy to time the stop right and there is plenty spelt out on the web.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 11:43:16 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
news
When big circle watering of farm crops is used, does the plowing,
seeding, and fertilizing apply to the whole surrounding square, or only
to the circle as best they can.

Only to the circle as best they can and that's one of the reasons
that so many are now not bit circles, usually called lateral moves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irriga...ne,_wheelmove)[36][37]

Somone on the radio says that it's the square, but I've assumed that

Thanks, the woman on the radio was drawing an analogy between planting
circles in squares and religious teaching!! and didn't necessarily know
anything about planting, but I tend to give some credibility to
everything I hear so i wanted to check.

farmers, especially those with GPS-equipped tractors, but also those
without (since cirular watering long preceded GPS), do as little excess
as the farmer's abiltity to see where the circle is while driving the
tractor,
and as the width of the plow, seeder, fertilizer can make happen.

Yeah, particularly with the planting and harvesting.

If I can get a good answer here, I'll be happy, but if not, I'll
stop the car and check next time I'm near one of thes things.

I may stop anyhow next time, depending on the time of year.

Not easy to time the stop right and there is plenty spelt out on the web.

I'm not surprised.
--
Micky

https://youtu.be/CDjT1fhrs-A
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2019 4:05 PM, micky wrote:
When big circle watering of farm crops is used, does the plowing,
seeding, and fertilizing apply to the whole surrounding square, or only
to the circle as best they can.

Somone on the radio says that it's the square, but I've assumed that
farmers, especially those with GPS-equipped tractors, but also those
without (since cirular watering long preceded GPS), do as little excess
as the farmer's abiltity to see where the circle is while driving the
tractor, and as the width of the plow, seeder, fertilizer can make
happen.

If I can get a good answer here, I'll be happy, but if not, I'll stop
the car and check next time I'm near one of thes things.

Many circular sprinklers have end segments that rotate out to hit the
corners better.

http://www.valleyirrigation.com/equi...ecision-corner
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

On 2019-01-14 8:39 p.m., Bob F wrote:
[...]

proper spreader , proper job but it doesn't matter much ,
it's not like you're going to miss an acre or more ,
so you over seed or under seed a corner , big woof ,
water everything any way you can and if the wife's not busy ,
bring her out and water her too