Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't toasters grounded?

On Thursday, March 7, 2002 at 2:44:50 PM UTC-6, larrymoencurly wrote:
Is it true that grounding a toaster could actually make it more
dangerous than running it from a 2-wire cord, even when the outlet
isn't GFCI protected? I've never seen a toaster that had a 3-wire cord.

I've never seen a three prong plug on a toaster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 25 Dec 2018 19:48:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Thursday, March 7, 2002 at 2:44:50 PM UTC-6, larrymoencurly wrote:
Is it true that grounding a toaster could actually make it more
dangerous than running it from a 2-wire cord, even when the outlet
isn't GFCI protected? I've never seen a toaster that had a 3-wire cord.

I've never seen a three prong plug on a toaster.

I used to work at Bethlehem Steel Corp. and someone who brought in his
own appliance was electrocuted (to death) by it.

After that, the rule was that anything one brought in, a radio, a fan,
and I'm not sure what else people had, had to have a 3-prong plug.

I don't know if fans and radio like that were for sale or not, but one
could rewire what he had. For example, I have an Emerson AM table radio
that has a chip out of the case so that the chassis of the radio can sit
on a metal table we had. When it did that, if you touched the table and
the metal edge of the formica kitchen counter, one got a constant small
shock. It would have been easy enough to replace the cord and plug and
attach the new ground wire to the chassis.

As I recall, the steel company's rule applied to the mill and the
offices both, but I had a fan that they didn't object to. OTOH, my
recollection is that I replaced my plug-in radio with a Panasonic
transistor radio. You might remember the model. It had no round
corners like those meant to go into pockets. Instead it was/is in the
shape of an AC table radio, with legs, but much smaller, about 4"x2"x2",
black- and silver-colored with a lid that ran the width of the radio,
opened up and had room for small things.

Anyhow, I only worked there for a few more months
Posted to alt.home.repair

In Clare Snyder writes:

Have you seen a 3 wire cord on an electric space heater??

Electrc space heaters? I've seen them with both two
prong and three prong plugs. Most seem to be two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 26 Dec 2018 00:07:08 -0500, micky
wrote:

I don't know if fans and radio like that were for sale or not, but one
could rewire what he had. For example, I have an Emerson AM table radio
that has a chip out of the case so that the chassis of the radio can sit
on a metal table we had.

Maybe I should say that even on a metal table, there was no problem if
it was a table with no holes in it. We had a little decorative metal
end table that had a metal shelf in the middle, with little holes in it,
but the shelf itself didn't go to the edge of the table There was a 5/8
or 3/4" space before a straight wire and iirc another thicker wire a
quarter inch beyond that. The outermost wire ran from one leg to the
other. So one or two of the 3/8" legs of the radio could fall into that
empty space and the chassis would touch the table.

I probably could have fixed the problem by reversing the plug, but I
didnt think of that. I probably didn't understand practical aspects of
elecricity that well then.

My mother never even complained about the elecric shock, afaicr. If she
had, I might have thought about it more. No one was ever hurt. I
might still have the table but there is no radio on it. I do have the
radio but it's on a wood shelf and it's not plugged in. I could also
put some tape on the part of the chassis that touched the metal.

When it did that, if you touched the table and
the metal edge of the formica kitchen counter, one got a constant small
shock. It would have been easy enough to replace the cord and plug and
attach the new ground wire to the chassis.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 05:43:12 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Clare Snyder writes:

Have you seen a 3 wire cord on an electric space heater??

Electrc space heaters? I've seen them with both two
prong and three prong plugs. Most seem to be two.

And lioke the toaster, they are polarized.

Toasters (was: Blue passports will return!!) James Harris[_3_] UK diy 125 January 2nd 18 08:00 PM
Toasters Chris J Dixon UK diy 96 February 22nd 15 06:58 PM
Toasters Gordon Henderson UK diy 110 November 7th 11 09:05 AM
Toasters Graham. UK diy 2 April 28th 11 11:09 AM
Why aren't all extension cords grounded if it's code that your outletbe grounded? so[_2_] Home Repair 16 April 13th 11 03:16 PM