Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse

When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse. When turning on the
fan alone, all is well. It is only when I turn on the light (seperate switch)
that the fuse blows. Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1182160-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-5, J-Diddy wrote:
When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse. When turning on the
fan alone, all is well. It is only when I turn on the light (seperate switch)
that the fuse blows. Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1182160-.htm

Sounds like there is a short. Did you try removing the bulb and see
what happens? I've seen bulbs trip a breaker when they blow. I've
never seen one where it wound up a permanent short, but it may be
possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2018 1:05 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-5, J-Diddy wrote:
When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse. When turning on the
fan alone, all is well. It is only when I turn on the light (seperate switch)
that the fuse blows. Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1182160-.htm

Sounds like there is a short. Did you try removing the bulb and see
what happens? I've seen bulbs trip a breaker when they blow. I've
never seen one where it wound up a permanent short, but it may be
possible.

One possibility...another is that the bulb socket developed a fault or
that the connection to the socket came unconnected and is now touching
ground enough to cause fault when turned on or, it could be the switch
itself has failed internally and is the short path.

Will just have to start at the simplest which is the bulb as you
suggest, and work back until find the root cause.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 18:44:02 GMT, J-Diddy
m wrote:

When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse. When turning on the
fan alone, all is well. It is only when I turn on the light (seperate switch)
that the fuse blows. Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

Are you talking about wall switches or those on the fixture? If wall
switches, may that switch is bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2018 2:13 PM, dpb wrote:
On 12/10/2018 1:05 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-5, J-Diddy wrote:
When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse.Â* When
turning on the
fan alone, all is well.Â* It is only when I turn on the light
(seperate switch)
that the fuse blows.Â* Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for
about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1182160-.htm

Sounds like there is a short.Â* Did you try removing the bulb and see
what happens?Â* I've seen bulbs trip a breaker when they blow.Â* I've
never seen one where it wound up a permanent short, but it may be
possible.

One possibility...another is that the bulb socket developed a fault or
that the connection to the socket came unconnected and is now touching
ground enough to cause fault when turned on or, it could be the switch
itself has failed internally and is the short path.

Will just have to start at the simplest which is the bulb as you
suggest, and work back until find the root cause.

--

Yes, also possible that after 10 years of vibration a wire nut came
loose or insulation rubbed away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

When I turn on my light on my ceiling fan, I blow a fuse. When turning on the
fan alone, all is well. It is only when I turn on the light (seperate switch)
that the fuse blows. Also, we have had this ceiling fan / light for about 10
years and this issue only just started happening this week.

Are you talking about wall switches or those on the fixture? If wall
switches, may that switch is bad.

In 60 years I've never seen a wall switch fail in a mode that shorts
to ground.
I have seen numerous bulbs fail in a manner that allows the filament
supports to fail. Most often in low voltage (like automotive) bulbs
but numerous regular 120 volt incandescents as well. Would be my FIRST
diagnostic step - remove all bulbs. Failed sockets are another prime
possibility and would be my second target of investigation, followed
by a connection failure in the canopy.