Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moldy basement

What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/24/2018 3:24 PM, Thomas wrote:
What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, especially respiratory issues. Since you are a cheapo, I hope you
have good health insurance. Sinus problems, lung problems, skin
infection, watery eyes. All the benefits of being cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 12:24:52 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

My best guess is in the subject line. MOLD.

Where does the water enter during a "good storm". I'd start there for
remedial purposes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Thomas" wrote in message
What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yeah, if you are dead, that is likely the reason for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 07:42:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yeah, if you are dead, that is likely the reason for that.

Another attempt at some kind of senile "humour", senile Rot? BG

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas writes:

What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

You can make a major impact on the dampness with a dehumidifier.
They are pretty inexpensive to acquire and operate.
If you still need convincing, the room will become much
more comfortable to be in.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, mold issues are the latest scare, leaving radon in the dust.

Some of us have been around molds for years without freaking out though.
Treat the mold with bleach.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 3:35:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/24/2018 3:24 PM, Thomas wrote:
What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, especially respiratory issues. Since you are a cheapo, I hope you
have good health insurance. Sinus problems, lung problems, skin
infection, watery eyes. All the benefits of being cheap.

Thanks Ed. Got an extra 5 grand to help me out?

Dan thanks for the reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 3:35:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/24/2018 3:24 PM, Thomas wrote:
What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, especially respiratory issues. Since you are a cheapo, I hope you
have good health insurance. Sinus problems, lung problems, skin
infection, watery eyes. All the benefits of being cheap.

Thanks Ed. Got an extra 5 grand to help me out?

Dan thanks for the reply.

You didn't give much to go on. How much water is coming in during a storm,
from where and why? If it's one little trickle from a crack in the blocks,
that's one thing. If it's coming in so that half the floor is covered,
that's another. First thing I'd do is focus on where the water is coming
from and how to stop it. It could be as simple as gutters that are
clogged, downspouts that dump near the foundation, improper grading,
etc. If it's water coming downhill, there are ways to intercept it ahead
of the house and divert it around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen posted for all of us...

Thomas writes:

What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

You can make a major impact on the dampness with a dehumidifier.
They are pretty inexpensive to acquire and operate.
If you still need convincing, the room will become much
more comfortable to be in.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, mold issues are the latest scare, leaving radon in the dust.

Some of us have been around molds for years without freaking out though.
Treat the mold with bleach.

Mold is natural.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 09:06:28 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Mold is natural.

So is death.

....and senility, senile Rot! Don't forget senility!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."