Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Moldy basement

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 6:09:43 PM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 3:35:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/24/2018 3:24 PM, Thomas wrote:
What are the health risks having a moldy basement?
On a hillside, 990 sq ft house. Half underground, half walkout driveway.
Water comes in in a good storm. Considered bdry but am a cheepo.

Are there health issues to look for?

Yes, especially respiratory issues. Since you are a cheapo, I hope you
have good health insurance. Sinus problems, lung problems, skin
infection, watery eyes. All the benefits of being cheap.

Thanks Ed. Got an extra 5 grand to help me out?

Dan thanks for the reply.

You didn't give much to go on. How much water is coming in during a storm,
from where and why? If it's one little trickle from a crack in the blocks,
that's one thing. If it's coming in so that half the floor is covered,
that's another. First thing I'd do is focus on where the water is coming
from and how to stop it. It could be as simple as gutters that are
clogged, downspouts that dump near the foundation, improper grading,
etc. If it's water coming downhill, there are ways to intercept it ahead
of the house and divert it around.